1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Priti Patel: Bullying claims from time at DfID revealed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Mar 4, 2020.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Absolutely - whatever their party or political leaning. Whatever their gender, ethnicity, sexuality etc.

2. ilovesooty

There is s difference between a determined person / rigorous manager and a bully who intimidates. It has been alleged that Patel is the latter and those allegations need to be investigated.

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Unless your name happens to be Bercow, (encouraged by Labour), or Patel (vilified by the Left for having the temerity to jump above her station).

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I find it quite extraordinary that senior civil servants, la creme de la creme, are intimidated by a here today, gone tomorrow politician who has no managerial responsibility for their employment.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The senior manager of the department was on a good number. Earns more than the prime minister.

border_walker and alex_teccy like this.
  6. oldsomeman

At what point does one become determined or a bully? How does the receiver of the demands know the difference? When a boss I used to be a determined boss, knowing what I want, but in return, my guys would stand up and say what they felt or tell me where to go. However, Its in the interpretation of your actions which decides what folk call you. Its also in the way it is done and approached.

border_walker and alex_teccy like this.
  7. ilovesooty

If you feel you are being intimidated or bullied surely what you earn becomes irrelevant.

8. ilovesooty

Have you ever been the subject of workplace bullying which has compromised your physical and mental health? If you haven't I appreciate it can be hard to understand.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. LondonCanary

When it is by people who have little or no influence over my pay and conditions, I don't care.
    If I was a knight of the realm, I would expect to be even more resilient.
    (In other circumstances where they do, it hasn't compromised my mental health. I would never expect it to affect my physical health.)

Kandahar likes this.
  10. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

From the ever brilliant Allison Pearson:

“If Sir Philip Rutnam thought he would deliver a fatal blow to Priti Patel by delivering his drizzly resignation statement in public, then he must inhabit some weird ivory tower far removed from the concerns and opinions of normal people. The Home Office, perhaps.

What a peculiarly unimpressive figure this senior civil servant cut as he laid into the woman it clearly pained him to call boss. “I have encouraged her to change her behaviours,” he said. The use of the plural there, with its exquisite, archdeaconly condescension, was hugely revealing, and not in a way Sir Philip intended. As the broadcaster and psychotherapist Philip Hodson pointed out after watching the statement three times: “Rutnam regards himself as Patel’s superior, not servant. He has high self-regard.”

Indeed he does – but why? With two strips of turf Velcroed on either side of his domed bald head, Sir Philip looks like the kind of garden ornament you find sitting on a lily pad with a fishing rod.

It was hard to believe that this seemingly lacklustre individual, wet of lip, damp of discourse, entirely devoid of charisma, had ever been in charge of 35,000 staff, let alone that he had ascended the heights of Whitehall over a 33-year career, culminating in a knighthood and the title of permanent secretary.

“Where on earth do they find these people?” I asked on social media and got several wonderfully bitchy replies from female civil servants who knew Sir Philip’s arrogant type all too well. “He is why I married a plasterer,” quipped one.

No stranger to abject failure, he complained that Priti Patel’s conduct featured “shouting and swearing, belittling people, making unreasonable and repeated demands”. And why would that be, Sir Philip?

If there is any grain of truth in those allegations, might it have something to do with the fact that the Home Office has ignored the public’s views on crime, punishment and immigration, and that the new Home Secretary, unlike her subservient predecessors, believes it is her duty to turn those views into policy? I mean, the nerve of the woman, coming in here and making demands!

Opponents of the Government are revelling in its discomfiture as the Prime Minister announces an inquiry to “establish the facts” about the bullying allegations. They are hoping that Patel’s tough line on immigration is as doomed as she is.

I wouldn’t be too quick to assume that it is Priti who is for the chop. Back in 2006, the New Labour home secretary John Reid complained that the Home Office was “not fit for purpose”. He was spot on. The department has failed time and again in its duty to protect the public and defend Britain’s borders.

Its failings finally became embarrassingly public during the Windrush scandal. Sir Philip should have tendered his resignation then and there. Instead, he was as elusive as the Cheshire Cat, preferring to let Amber Rudd, then Home Secretary, carry the can.

Now, he has the cheek to bring a case for constructive, unfair dismissal. Had he been working for a private company, he would have been out on his ear years ago.

Sir Philip Rutnam went public with his allegations in order to bring down Priti Patel. But, in the battle between an obstructive mandarin class and a reforming Home Secretary who wants what the people want, there can be little doubt which side the public would like to see triumph: Priti, please.

11. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

AHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH....what? :confused::D:rolleyes:

12. ilovesooty

What a spiteful, personally insulting article from Pearson.

vannie and monicabilongame like this.
  13. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

The only person being bullied here is the Home Secretary. The same tactics are being used against her and this government as were attempted to overthrow the referendum result. They are the tactics of anarchy.

That the opposition is becoming increasingly desperate and bold means suggests she's doing something right. She has an 80 seat majority behind her.

14. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

She's a serial bully who should have no future in public life:

Priti Patel staff member ‘received payout after attempting suicide’ following bullying claims
    Woman was shouted at and dismissed from private office role because Ms Patel 'doesn’t like your face', according to legal correspondence

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...cide-conservative-boris-johnson-a9370731.html

What would happen to a teacher who shouted to a pupil 'get out, I don't like your face' (or similar)?

vannie and monicabilongame like this.
  15. oldsomeman

According to is not proof! It has to be verified in some way.

16. Morninglover

They paid up. 25K. That's proof in my (& I'd say most people's) book.

17. LondonCanary

The article does not reveal who dismissed her and their justification.

18. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

monicabilongame and Morninglover like this.
  19. Morninglover

As per post 55. They paid. They would not have if Patel hadn't said it. (And, of course, they tried to insist on a confidentiality clause - if you want to know the details, why not ask them? I suspect it pretty clearly means Patel did so herself).

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Of course - within reason.

I think your last sentence is the crucial one here.
    Hence my OP, with three possible ways of interpreting the situation.

There are many ways of leading and managing. But good leading and managing NEVER involves bullying & harrassment.

But the claims of bullying and harrassment have now been made a number of times across three different departments of Government, and not solely by senior civil servants (though I'm not sure why you think they would be more immune from bullying & harrassment).

Really - you have evidence of that claim? That she is vilified for 'having the temerity to jump above her station'?

None of these claims have been made by 'the opposition', so I have no idea why you are dragging them into it.