1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Priti Patel: Bullying claims from time at DfID revealed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Mar 4, 2020.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I think that's spot on. It was agreed by a lot of people that my previous HT was a bully as well as being blustering and inadequate. Firm and rigorous management isn't bullying though. I've met rigorous managers I've had a lot of respect for within education and outside. Patel may be out of her depth but it seems as though the reports of bullying aren't from just one source and that's concerning. And she just happens to be a Conservative minister. I don't think that in itself means she's a bully - that would be absurd.

chelsea2 and nomad like this.
  2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

More likely to be individual actions as people become aware that there is a channel for their grievance

We don't know if these people have previously told their line managers

3. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

There's been no action - nor publicity - if they have.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Loving watching Labour MPs bring up bullying...

Same MPs who were silent or supported Bercow... And stayed silent when Corbyn nominated him for peerage...

Who stayed silent when Luciana Berger was bullied with anti-Semitic abuse...

Clown party

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Deflection again.
    It wasn't Labour MPs who first brought a claim of bullying against PP.

Any thoughts about this situation?

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

As much as I hate talking about current events in these racialized terms, it's interesting how, when it comes to a contest between a successful, assertive woman of colour and the largely white, middle class establishment, the Left comes down like a ton of bricks on the side of...the latter.

7. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

Not even off the first page before the "What about Labour" or "If this was Labour".

Was Diane Abbott also a disgraced former Secretary of State for international development who took it upon herself to make unsanctioned trips to a foreign state? Who was then rewarded with a position as Home Secretary?

Alice K and harsh-but-fair like this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What do you mean by this?

And let's not forget, you supported a man who put his dog on youtube after teaching it to do Nazi salutes when he said "Gas the Jews". But that's not anti-semitic... lol.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

As much as I usually agree with you, I think the context in that video is important. But we should be careful not to divert the topic of the thread.

Lets keep it on Disgraced former Secretary for International Development Priti Patel.

ilovesooty and harsh-but-fair like this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Well, she is a Tory!

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As per usual with a few in here. Your guilty, no choice. no appeal. just guilty.
    For goodness sake sometimes it is like a baying mob wanting revenge when all they have heard is some comments.
    Seems the political war has not yet been solved,at least among some of us!

border_walker and alex_teccy like this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Bullying is not an offence, but harrassment is.
    The law has it that harrassment is "behaviour that makes someone feel intimidated or offended". Examples given are:
    • spreading malicious rumours
    • unfair treatment
    • picking on or regularly undermining someone
    • denying someone’s training or promotion opportunities

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The fact that she is still there tells you how much adrift this government already is.

14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Any predictions from you as to how long she'll last, given the salivating, baying throng of the Left?

alex_teccy and LondonCanary like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

She should have gone already.

16. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Well you see, Priti has been very naughty and wandered off from her assigned reservation.

17. alex_teccy

• Giving wedgies
    • Stealing lunch money
    • Flicking bogies at your victim

18. alex_teccy

Clownworld

Do you have a fear of clowns by some chance?

Kandahar likes this.
  19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Not everyone looks at situations by focusing on the race / sex of those involved. You have.

I'm sure you'd agree that allegations of bullying & harrassment need to be independently investigated, whoever it may be.

monicabilongame and ilovesooty like this.
  20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

No, it doesn't if the government is doing as its says and referring the comments to the right investigative bodies, not to some political party. You appoint a determined person to get a job done. Others may squeal. but never the less the job has to be done, even if it upsets some on the way.
    I have had intimidating bosses in school and in some cases, you move on, some you fight, some you agree and some you go against. In the end, they are the boss, and within reason, they have the right to try and do what they see needs to be done.

border_walker likes this.