1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Priti Patel: Bullying claims from time at DfID revealed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Patel was born in London. She's British, not Indian. Her family, I believe, came from Uganda so their roots may be Indian but it's a number of generations since they lived there.

Now I'm an equal opportunity sort of a person - if you're born in the UK, live here, have a GB passport etc., then I think you should be treated EXACTLY the same as other British people. And that includes humour.

NB Ah, I hear some cry, what about holocaust jokes towards GB citizens with a Jewish heritage? Well, to be honest, I can't be bothered to debate that one: if anyone can't see the difference between jokes about an event that killed around 6 million people in Europe (the vast majority, but not all, Jewish many of whose descendants are still living here), and a joke about a cow, then you aren't worth debating with.

PS And the same applies to the Mayor.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    monicabilongame likes this.
  2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

When did Hindus become a race?

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Just curious- why did you crop the picture so that it didn't show Johnson being given similar treatment?

As you ignored my earlier post I assume that you've not picked it up from another site and been fooled the misinformation presented by cutting out Johnson? Just ignore this is the effort to misinform was all your own invention.

There's 5 different countries that are the most corrupt, and three that are the least hard working - sensibly there should only be two or just one - yes?

And if stereotypes aren't invented- how can new ones ever appear?

I think that might depend on him being accused of getting his snout into the trough.

I'm still wondering if being an Indian heritage female should in your opinion allow people to bully their underlings and for which other offenses you think it works as a get out of jail free card?

ajrowing likes this.
  4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I may be wrong, but it is COWS which are sacred to Hindus. I can't find anything which indicates the same applies to BULLS.

http://ayurveda-sedona.com/knowledge-center/spirituality/holy-cow/
    Millions of Hindus revere and worship cows. Hinduism is a religion that raises the status of Mother to the level of Goddess. Therefore, the cow is considered a sacred animal, as it provides us life sustaining milk. The cow is seen as a maternal figure, a care taker of her people. The cow is a symbol of the divine bounty of earth.

Lord Krishna, one of the most well known of the Hindu deities is often depicted playing his flute amongst cows and dancing Gopis (milkmaids). He grew up as a cow herder. Krishna also goes by the names Govinda and Gopala, which literally mean “friend and protector of cows.” It is considered highly auspicious for a true devotee to feed a cow, even before eating breakfast oneself.

Throughout the Vedic scriptures there are verses which emphasize that the cow must be protected and cared for. It is considered a sin to kill a cow and eat its meat. Even today in India, there are many states in which the slaughter of cows is illegal. That is why you can find cows roaming freely all over India, even along the busy streets of Delhi and Mumbai.

Ayurveda is a big proponent of the sattvic qualities of milk and dairy products. That is why most Hindus are vegetarian, but not vegan. Fresh, organic milk, yogurt, buttermilk, paneer (homemade cheese) and ghee, are all considered highly nutritious, and an important part of the diet. Not only do these dairy products provide important protein and calcium for our tissues, but are sources of Ojas, which gives our body strength and immunity.

Re Diane Abbott - if she had been accused of BULLying, and the cartoon was a response to that - why not? BULLying is something common to all races and skin colours.

Odd that those who are all too ready to criticise those who 'play the race card', and to criticise those posters who claim there is a racist dimension to some issues are those who are themselves doing the same on this occasion.

vannie and alex_teccy like this.
  5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

You are mostly correct, although in Hinduism Shiva's steed is a sacred bull.

Nose rings and horns are not restricted to bullocks. Both of the below are cows:-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cuban cow above and below,
    Famous during the days of Castro
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But then in Hinduism there is Ganesh(a), the elephant headed god, who rides on a mouse. In fact, a whole range of animals are used to carry / pull various Hindu deities: horse, swan, water buffalo, parrot, antelope - even elephant. So I don't think the idea of Shiva's steed being a bull gives it any special status above other such animals. Cows are different, for the reasons I posted.

ETA The cartoon is definitely meant to show bulls - else the whole BULLy pun is lost.

monicabilongame and Morninglover like this.
  7. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Perhaps - but sits uncomfortably with the fact that Mrs Patell is clearly a woman - and so unlikely to be a bull given a species swap.

The cartoon is not only exceptionally poorly drawn - but is clearly insulting on a whole range of levels - that were the newspaper the Daily Mail, and the subject matter Labour / Muslim MP - this forum would be awash with criticism. I suspect that you quietly concede to this.

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You're doing it again - assuming things about me which are NOT TRUE.

Again - please stop making unfounded and offensive assumptions.

9. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I am struggling to understand what you find offensive about my assumption that you quietly concede that,were the boot on the other foot - criticism would be higher.

Nevertheless - I withdraw my assumption, and will engage no further with you on this topic.

10. xmal

xmal Established commenter

I think it's civil servants throwing a hissy fit when the dont get their own way.

11. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

My apologies, Kandahar - I jumped too quickly, after our little spat last week, and didn't read what you posted carefully enough.

I still don't agree with your premise - I think both 'sides' are all too ready to criticise the 'other' in these threads, but I accept that your assumption about me is not offensive.

Kandahar likes this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Interesting - yes.
    Maybe an indication of cultural norms in India (and, yes, I know there have been female PMs in India).

From a British female perspective, that thought never crossed my mind.
    'Bull in a china shop' did!

Perhaps, as so often, if people want to take offence they'll some way to do so?

Kandahar likes this.
  14. Burndenpark

Firstly- most people- with the obvious exception of those wishing to take offence on her behalf- would normally assume a nose ring and horns to indicate a bull rather than a cow.
    Secondly - He doesn't seem to be doing much defending in the cartoon. If you wish to say that is how you would defend someone I wouldn't doubt you. But it does look more like he's sitting back with just a reassuring hoof on her shoulder while she's doing all the work.

15. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

[​IMG]

Someone had better inform this farmer.

16. Burndenpark

17. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

[​IMG]

That took me 30 seconds.
    I dislike religious hatred.

18. Burndenpark

How strange- I posted the link to the google page where it shows the search criteria I set i.e. "cow picture"

Any chance you could post a link to the page showing those you set?

Or should we just accept that you had to specify "cow + nose ring" or something along those lines?

Shame that you are always so slow to join any defence when it's Muslims being attacked.

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

It is rare for a cow to have a nose ring. I am guessing this is a special ring to stop it nursing on another cow based on the shape.

20. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Such rings exist - but usually have barbs on them.

Many of the dairy cattle on farms near me in the Trough of Bowland have nose rings - and during my time in Westphalia I recall the practice. It might be rarer than nose rings on bulls - but is certainly not unique - just as cows with horns.

The cartoon was ill advised given Mrs Patel being Hindu.

artboyusa likes this.