1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Priti Patel: Bullying claims from time at DfID revealed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Mar 4, 2020.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51731753

Surprised there have been no comments about this.....

A witch hunt ('dark forces at work')?
    Or a pattern of unacceptable behaviour across 3 departments?
    Or a storm in a teacup, blown up out of all proportion?

Mangleworzle likes this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A pattern of unacceptable behaviour across 3 departments, IMO.

BetterNow, bevdex, emerald52 and 6 others like this.
  3. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

No-one knows, actually, do they? There's is - apparently - a constructive dismissal claim in preparation. I shall wait to read the outcome of that and then we shall know.

Waiting to read the EHRC report into the institutional antisemitic bullying of staff and members in the Labour Party, too.

Kandahar likes this.
  4. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Looks like U.K. politics could do with a version of VAR.

blazer, Stiltskin and LondonCanary like this.
  5. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

I have no knowledge of Priti Patel but I do have connections with someone in the Treasury. Sufficient to pass on is the fact that some Cabinet Ministers are clueless and this is confirmed when some move out very rapidly. Just look at Transport for a start.

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Grayling lasted 3 years. Does that mean he was considered to be good.

emerald52 and colpee like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I can guarantee that my present headteacher could be accused of bullying by a former member of staff.

I also find my headteacher to be reasonable, supportive and open to suggestions.

I know I could accuse a former headteacher of mine of bullying.

But many of my former colleagues would praise and defend the same person. That Head recently retired and was widely praised in the local media.

Kandahar and border_walker like this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Oh, well done for the deflection.

As for 'no one knows' - very true, but it doesn't stop other threads asking what people think.

And there's more than just the constructuve dismissal claim - there's also the pay off of a previous employee who tried to commit suicide following, it is claimed, Patel's behaviour.

9. will_osweighton

UK Labour reports that disgruntled civil servants are contacting the Leader of the Opposition's office to report "bullying".

Not their boss, Sir Mark Sedwill, mark you. Their first instinct - quite independently, it is suggested - is to contact the Leader of the Opposition.

It's a coordinated pile-on. Like I said, I'll wait for the official published accounts - of both parties.

border_walker likes this.
  10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The thing with bullying, others' experiences of the person have no bearing. It's how the actions of one person are affecting another.

anotherauntsally and ajrowing like this.
  11. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Having a bullying nature, picking on those who are weaker or who cannot or will not defend themselves, fits perfectly with this vile woman's politics.

12. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Wonder whether she was a HT or SLT in a previous existence ?

Stiltskin, catbefriender and ajrowing like this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I think it can be the response of someone out of their depth, or in a panic mode - lashing out, not thinking through what you are saying or how it may affect the person on the receiving end.

It is possible to be firm, to be rigorous, even to be demanding without bullying people. Telling people what you want from them, and even criticising them or their work, can be done assertively but politely. Disagreeing with people, pulling rank if you have to, refusing to negotiate or compromise, does not have to take place in a hostile atmosphere. And if people don't 'fit' and have to be replaced, the person in the leadership position really has to remain the grown up in the room.

How does it help to be confrontational, aggressive and unpleasant? To rule through fear?

emerald52 and ilovesooty like this.
  14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

That fits perfectly with a political belief or view and not with facts that have not yet been heard.
    There are times when self-employed my actions might be deemed bullying, especially if I was employing a man to do a job and the idle plonker didn't do it. Or is it the CS is upset because they might have been rumbled as also in not efficient, and not for the countries good?
    If you are the leader of a department the buck stops with you. If you cannot take the flack it is easy to resign and then say one is bullied. Bullying is consistent attacks upon you or your personality or work-life etc, as I used to teach the children. Problem with bullies is no one will stand up to them so you won't, can't or don't fight back. Its hard to do that and be consistently attacked in ways to demean you. Much easier to retaliate via accusation later when such attacks are not so easily provable.
    In these forums, I read so much of teachers who are treated in such despicable ways but, alas, we didn't defend them against the bully. Yet if a politician does bully..OMG. they are the worst in the world.
    If she is a bully I have little sympathy for her, but I would like to see her found guilty, rather than guilty, now prove your innocence.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

She'll quit... The left will be gleeful (while fully aware that if this was Diane Abbott they'd be screaming "racist deep state" by now)... Shame as Patel is one of the few in gov. acting in line with public opinion.

Kandahar, artboyusa and border_walker like this.
  16. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

:rolleyes:

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Doesn't make a lot of difference. Labour is dying inwardly as it touts many unpopular views. I certainly do not see the dead rising,unless its to be the skeleton party!

Kandahar likes this.
  18. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

When a bully becomes a target, the bullied will have their due. 3 different departments. Beware who you stab on the way up isn’t it?

monicabilongame likes this.
  19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

20. will_osweighton

As I said and as reported by Iain Watson at the BBC, a coordinated pile-on to the Leader of the Opposition's office. Not through their line managers and ultimately through Head of CS Sir Mark Sedwill.

upload_2020-3-4_17-23-40.png