1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prisoners Wives (sic)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by highschooler, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Is it just me or does the lack of an apostrophe annoy anyone else? It must be really confusing for kids. I wonder if this is the thin end of a rather large wedge that's slowly but surely eroding our language.
    On a positive, the series is pretty good!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You are kidding? Do you think they care? Do you think anyone cares apart from a few pedants?
    Is the meaning of the title lost by the lack of apostrophe? I dont think so, so what is the point of it?

3. I think correct punctuation is important. Those who don't see the point of it probably don't understand how to use it properly :)

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

What a sad reason not to uphold standards

5. Sadly I'm realising that this may be the case. I believed until very recently that it was teachers' jobs to teach correct spelling, grammar and punctuation, but apart from myself and one of our office staff, nobody in my school seems to care at all, even to the extent of sending out school newsletters and allowing notices to remain with blatant errors in them.

6. I'm glad you're not a teacher, dereck. I seem to recall you are a fork-lift truck driver and home educator.

7. The apostrophe, although a fairly recent invention, is an essential device which indicates meaning and possession. To dismiss it is a mistake. Because children might ignore its importance doesn't mean we have to.
    The school in which I work teaches the importance of the apostrophe and expects all pupils to be able to use it correctly. However, three quarters of the staff are unable to use it correctly, including the Headteacher; and the quality and integrity of written grammar, spelling and punctuation shown by the teachers is appalling.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My view is that when it is required, there is a place for the apostrophe. But a lot of the time, if not most of the time it is not needed. The meaning is perfectly clear without it. If the meaning is ambiguous then use it by all means is my view.
    This especially goes for contractions, why is it needed.
    Prisoners Wives - everyone knows what it means, there is no need for an apostrophe.

Highschooler, I have been a HLTA in a primary school for the last three years. Of course I teach the correct use of the apostrophe. That is what is required of me. I also help the children learn no other end of useless nonsense that it required by the National Curriculum. Thats (see what I mean) my job.

Its the teachers job too.

Now dont tell me you dont understand the last three sentences because of the lack of apostrophes.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Can anyone tell me why my paragraphs are going missing? Is it because I am using Google Chrome?. This never used to happen with Firefox.

10. doomzebra

And if it was a documentary about the partners of a bigamist inmate?

11. Because you didn't use apostrophes. Google Chrome is a pedant.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It would be called The Prisoner With Many Wives.

13. Is that the job of one teacher or all teachers?
    Yes, in most cases we can understand most of it but the same could said for text speak - does that make it correct?
    And as for Prisoners Wives, as a bald phrase it could be interpreted in at least 3 ways:
    • One (bigamous ) prisoner has several wives (Prisoner's Wives)
    • Wives of prisoners (Prisoners' Wives) Presumably what the intended meaning.
    • Wives who are themselves prisoners (Prisoners: Wives) I know this a bit tenuous but how do we know that a colon wasn't omitted for some reason?

14. doomzebra

Then why (if it was about the wives of more than one prisoner) is it not called The Wives of Prisoners?
    The correct use of the apostrophe avoids ambiguity - why not use it? Why dismiss it by saying it doesn't matter, when you admit there are cases when it does?

15. Oh, for god's sake! Why don't you just all come over to Entertainment and have some fun, instead of this endless bickering! [​IMG]

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You know what it means. You know that I know that you know what it means.

Good point. I am as emotionally attached to current English spelling as you are to apostrophes, so it is a matter of taste I suppose.

Text speak will become the dominant form of the written word in years to come I expect.

It is perfectly understandable and does what it is intended to do.

For those of us that enjoy the flow and shape of current spelling, those of us that enjoy working out the origin of different words (Greek, Latin Indo-European etc) we can always read novels.

For the rest who dont give a stuff, that is the vast majority, they can stick to text speak.

I am sure that there was an outcry when text books stopped being written in Latin in England. But hey ho, the world changes.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Now look here. This IS my idea of fun.

18. So.... no takers for Entertainment, I gather? [​IMG]

19. Fair enuff! You can't blame me for trying..... [​IMG]

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The correct use of the apostrophe does avoid ambiguity, that is true. It is just that personally I would like to see the 'correct' use changed from what we have now to only using it where some ambiguity could occur. That is to use it when it is needed.

I really fail to see why apostrophes are needed for contractions.