1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Priorities

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Polkadotspot, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I was wondering what everyone's priorities are in terms of the daily tasks of a teacher. I worry that if I reveal why I am asking this, I might make myself identifiable. I'll just say that I feel my priorities don't correspond with pressure I'm getting from SLT and I was wondering how many other NQTs have the same priorities as I do.
    So, let's say out of this list, how would you prioritise these tasks? This is just listed in a random order.
    Setting homework
    Planning
    Preparing lessons
    Displays
    Marking/ assessment
    Evaluating own performance
    Record keeping

2. I always think of my nursery nursing days - plan, do, review, so for me it has to be
    planning
    preparing lessons
    marking/assessment
    evaluation of own performance is everyday (reflecting)
    record keeping (haven't found a good system that works for me yet so pieces of paper are stuffed randomly into a folder)
    don't set homework
    displays are done by the TAs and as a teacher you shouldn't be doing them.
    You're rightmy priorities are totally different from those above who want to see lots of paperwork and displays. Never enough time to fit everything in so get tired and stressed, hence the reason I'm off with a bad head, throat and shivers, [​IMG]

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Well, I'm not an NQT but planning and preparing always has to come first. Then marking, then record keeping. Anything else is an extra.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

All are pretty much essential tasks and need to be done. Which are you thinking you could leave out?

5. I don't think any can be left out and I agree that they are all essential.
    I'm just asking which are seen as priorities. Obviously it's not always possible to get everything done in one day and sometimes things need to wait until the next day or so.

6. My priorities for each day are planning/preparing and marking. I don't go home/go to sleep when I get home until I know there done/have time to do them the next morning. I reflect as I go and it's all mental, I don't write any reflections down unless it's to quickly annotate a plan. Displays go on the back burner if they are all up and sorted but if they need doing they go on the priority level underneath marking. Hope that helps!

7. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Well, you have to plan and prepare lessons. I can get by without doing so sometimes, because I am teaching something I've taught before and I think we all end up doing that sometimes. I plan homework as I plan lessons so, to me that's all part of planning, rather than a separate task. You've got to mark and assess, and once that's done, you've got to record the results. Display work is a low priority, but again, tends to be part of lessons, often at the end of term. I haven't evaluated in writing a lesson since my PGCE but I think most teachers do it as they work and talk to colleagues. It is also part of planning, assessing what has worked well and what needs changing, as well as adjusting lessons and schemes of work in light of what has happened in previous lessons. Evaluating performance is a more prominent concern for NQTs but I still think it should be part of your planning.