1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

priorities

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pb66, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hi

What would you do?
    I have a job offer for a temporary position starting in March for 12 months.
    But adverts for permanent jobs starting in September 2012 are being advertised now.

Should I start applying for September permanent jobs or wait until March 2013 ?

I haven't been a teacher for long - and don't want lots of short term jobs and gaps of unemployment on my CV!

thanks

2. zippycfb

zippycfb New commenter

I think I would accept the temporary contract. There's always September 2013 and at least then you know you will only potentially be unemployed for the period March-September. Personally I'd rather have a guaranteed income for the next 12 months, who knows when another job offer will come along? I've been applying for jobs since last January whilst I was still on the PGCE and have only just secured a post, and even then it's only a temporary maternity cover.
    I start the maternity cover post on 30th Jan until the Summer and they've said there is a possibility that there may be something permanent in September. At first I though, great, I can hold off on the job-hunting for a while and hopefully something will materialise from it, but on reflection I'm back to applying for permanent jobs for September. Even though I'd probably rather continue in the same school for ease, I'd much rather have the security of knowing I was going to get a wage come September!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I suggest grabbing whatever you can. After now 7 months without ANY offered work, I'm reduced to doing 'voluntary work' again.
    Also
    Plus it IS providing experience, giving you a reference and preventing that awkard 'gap in employment' problem.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You can accept that post, and then if you get a permanent post for September, you can give notice on 31 May.
    They will not love you for it, but the legal situation is that you are free to leave. But you are also free to remain for the full year.
    Currently the situation for jobs is very bad, you should bear that in mind. The September jobs will also reveive applications from this year's PGCE students, of course.
    Have you read this:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. Thanks all
    I think that's what I'll do - apply and see how it goes

cheers
    P