1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prior Knowledge - Numeracy and Literacy lessons

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nadeemshaikhuk, Mar 26, 2011.

1. nadeemshaikhuk

nadeemshaikhuk New commenter

Hi,
    I need some help using either the primary literacy/numeracy strategies website or the national curriculum, how I can determine what prior knowledge a learner/child needs BEFORE:
    1) they double and halve 2 digit numbers using partitioning - numeracy lesson
    2) they plan a presentation to persuade an audience of an idea for a school project - literacy project.

As well as that, I need to know what a learner/child will gain (progress on to/attain) AFTER these 2 activities/lessons.
    Both these lessons are for Year 6 children.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

The maths seems quite simple for year 6? Before they can do that I'd say they need to know what digits are, have an understanding of place value and can add two digits together.

3. nadeemshaikhuk

Do you know where that would be mentioned within the national strategies website

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

"Identify the doubles of two-digit numbers; use these to calculate doubles of multiples of 10 and 100 and derive the corresponding halves"
    is a year 4 objective.

6. nadeemshaikhuk

yes your right. The Year 6 for the numeracy and literacy lessons are low ability groups.
    I see that doubling and halving falls under Year 4, so am i right by saying if I look at your link, looking at Year 3 - i can determine what prior knowledge they should have. And when I look at Year 5, its what they should have pogressed to.

Thanks

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Well it's partly that and partly common sense! They won't be able to double 2 digit numbers unless
    1) they know what doubling is
    2) they know how to double a single digit number
    3) what happen when you double a number above 5, ie that place value comes into play
    4) they know what a 2 digit number is
    5) they can partition a number

You have to think of all the steps they will need to have to carry out to double a 2 digit number and ensure they are at ease with each. It's not simply a question of looking at previous objectives, it's at looking how learning is built up!

8. nadeemshaikhuk

Any ideas what needs to be looked at for the literacy lesson - in my first post.
    Thanks

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Have a look at http://www.writingfun.com/writingfun2010.html which gives you features and examples of a variety of genre.
    You will need to decide on the form of your narrative-are they writing a report, a letter, a poster, an advert etc. You will then need to ensure they are secure in the features of the text format, what would you expect to see, how would it be set out.
    You will need to look at persuasive language, arguments, suitable connectives, paragraphing ( especially introductory and summarising) just as a start!

10. nadeemshaikhuk

Sorry but I should have explained it abit more clearly.
    What knowledge should the children have prior to doing this lesson about "planning a presentation to persuade an audience about an idea" - am I right in saying they should firstly know what a plan is, what it contains, what persuasive language is and how you use it.
    What should they then progress on to after this lesson - in reference to the national strategies/curriculum.
    Thanks

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Yes, you will find http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/19451 useful
    Depends on the unit you are going to follow next!