1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Printable phonic reading books

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BEXJ, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hi I am looking for some decodable simple books that I can print out and make so children can use them independently at carpet time, register etc.
    Any ideas anyone?

2. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

4. JEH

JEH

just had a look at these - some are very odd and I wouldn't use them with my children (see "Bums"!). one or two OK but beware the odd typo and missing page. Cariad's suggestions are much more usable!

5. toty

toty New commenter

Hello
    Just to follow on from Indigo's suggestion - you can download & print off some Starfall books here but they're in black & white only:
    http://www.starfall.com/n/N-info/onlinebooks.htm?n=downloadcenter

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I remember being recogmended some by an adviser for Wave 3 think they may have been from Direct Phonics.
    If you use Starfall check spellings and vocabulary as it is American.

7. I don't provide phonics books to print out, but there are over 400 resources of cumulative sentences and texts available in Phonics International which can be used for grapheme searches, reading, self-dictations, dictations, writing, comprehension activities, story extensions.

8. Msz

I can vouch for the usefulness of Debbie's I Can Read sheets which I use in my class both as individual sheets and also on the IWB as a whole class exercise.

9. Thinking about it, I've been a bit misleading there as some of those texts are for older learners as they progress through the programme. There's still a large amount of cumulative, decodable material for younger children and from the beginning of the programme.

10. Sorry, JEH, I admit that I didn't look closely at the books content- just saw that they fitted with Jolly Phonics and posted the link -perhaps there's a cultural gap with Oz. Are they really that bad?

11. Thanks Msz!
    Also, I find it useful to print out 'runs' of the I can read texts and then staple them to make booklets. The children can read the text, work out what it means and draw a picture, and can take the texts home when finished.
    There are also full pics available for every I can read text if you want to make a resource with pics. Then, there are the same words that are in the texts in list format so the children can practise reading the words without the support of the sentences per se. That resource includes colour-in pics. Comprehension questions are provided for each I can read text so that the adult can readily do oral work with the children.

12. Msz

I've found them really useful for comprehension work with Y2 and use them for the catch up sessions I run before school along with many of your other great resources.

13. Fantastic - thank you so much for letting me know.
    Praise indeed coming from you![​IMG]

14. Thanks everyone, some good ideas. My class can't get enough to read they are loving it and I wanted to offer them some more resources [​IMG]

15. Hi,
    I have got books downloaded for free from the website mentioned below. My students have been reading them and I find them to be very helpful. They are in three series with 20 books in each series. Hope this helps.
    http://www.teachtheworldtoread.com/
    Afza

16. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Thanks for the link - they look really useful