1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Print vs Cursive

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEA2111, Oct 8, 2015.

1. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

I feel strongly that children should learn to print for at least 2 years before they learn cursive. My colleagues strongly disagree, our school teaching children pre-cursive in Y1 (way too young me thinks) . I am now in Y4 and the BAD handwriting is a major frustration, from poor pencil grip, incorrect letter formation, difficult to read handwriting, problems with pencil pressure, and so on. If cursive was so 'superior' would we be experiencing such a large percentage of children with bad handwriting? Thoughts? Opinions?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Many schools teach cursive from the start of reception and chain great success.
    Personally I think children should be taught correct letter formation regardless of the style adopted by the school. Two thirds of my class can't hold a pencil effectively!

TEA2111 likes this.
  3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

We teach cursive from reception. It works for us.
    Pencil grip is part of early years and they do lots of work on this. For instance dough gym. We even have light sabers to practise formation in the air. Sand trays also help.
    By the end of reception the majority of children can form cursive letters.
    When they finish year 1, the majority have good cursive handwriting and can hold a sentence and write a sentence using cursive.
    We think that it is hard to re-teach handwriting later on. Too much to do and it interferes with creativity as children are thinking about formation rather than content.
    I think if your staff are willing to work on cursive you just have to build a plan that works. We link to phonics. We actually use Read/Write and their Speed sounds. We just altered their sheets so that their letters are cursive.

TEA2111 likes this.
  4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I have strong feelings about handwriting style, and luckily my school uses the style I am comfortable with. We teach letters with a 'flick' at the end instead of just a line as in traditional print (eg. 'a' would be written by going around, up, down and flick). I cannot abide the handwriting style where all letters start on the line and have an incoming sort of flick - especially not when children are taught to write all these letters carefully spaced apart so none of the flicks join on to anything. Makes me annoyed just thinking about it! Is this what you mean by pre-cursive? If so, I agree with you that it is more complicated than it needs to be, especially for little ones, and I can't see what the benefits are.

TEA2111 likes this.