1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Principal Resourcing paying NQTs as instructors

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anon3150, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Just a warning for the NQT supply teachers.
    I had a call from Principal Resourcing this morning saying they are planning to stop paying some NQTs the full amount and instead pay them as instuctors. I had heard of this happening in Secondary but this is the first time I've heard of it happening in Primary. They said this would apply to NQTs who had 'taken a while' to complete their NQT year. Which given the current climate is going to be a lot of people. They're basically trying to save money. I've said I won't take the instructor rate but if other agencies follow suit I may not have a choice.
    Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

2. Just a warning for the NQT supply teachers.
    I had a call from Principal Resourcing this morning saying they are planning to stop paying some NQTs the full amount and instead pay them as instuctors. I had heard of this happening in Secondary but this is the first time I've heard of it happening in Primary. They said this would apply to NQTs who had 'taken a while' to complete their NQT year. Which given the current climate is going to be a lot of people. They're basically trying to save money. I've said I won't take the instructor rate but if other agencies follow suit I may not have a choice.
    Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Its not just bad news for NQT supply teachers, if instructors are cheaper to hire then it means less work for ALL supply teachers.
    This should also concern teachers in regular posts at ther moment since if whatever reason they leave their current post they could find themselves in the same situation.

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

If they are targetting those NQTs who are taking more than 16 months (+ possible LA extension of 12 months) to complete Induction, then they are not doing it to save money but to legally be able to carry on offering them work.
    NQTs with an unstarted or incomplete Induction are banned from working as teachers in the State compulsory sector once they have used up their short-term supply allowances.
    They can be used, with no time limit, if their job title is TA or Cover Supervisor.
    Instructor pay is better than CS pay usually so if the agency is paying them Instructor pay to be Cover Supervisors (no planning and no overt teaching) they are doing their best for those unfortunate NQTs.
    If they are employing new NQTs as CS or Cover Supervisor, they are not helping them.

5. I was about to rejoin Principal Resourcing for supply work as they got me loads before I was on a short-term contract. Might not bother now, as I will refuse to work for the £95 a day they paid me. If they pay even less now, or want instructors then they can have them. I will not lower myself to the reduced education standards that are now plaguing our schools.
    The education of the kids will decline, exam results will drop and there will be an awful lot of explaining to do by some in the not-too-distant future.
    Maybe I will be better escaping from teaching ...

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

There are a number of bodies that will agree with you on your first point, this year's CBI report and a recent Maths report presented by (the gorgeous) Carol Vorderman.[​IMG]
    But I would wager that exam results do not drop this year. In fact I would predict a rise in the standard of exam grades for the nth year running. In fact I would go as far as predicting a rise in next years grades as well and so on until 100% of sudents are achieving A* in all subjects. The Government (of what ever colour) will clainm that Education is safe in their hands and no explaining is needed. Or am I being too cynical?[​IMG]
    "better escaping from teaching"? You are not alone in asking that.

7. If you are an NQT then £95 a day is not too bad at all. What were you expecting? I have 35 years experience and only get 120 a day.

8. OK lets get real. Carol Vordermann is not a maths graduate she is an engineering graduate they used her because its a name the great unwashed recognise. Second this woman gets paid about £3000 for an after dinner speech so god alone knows how much she was paid for this report and she would say what they wanted.
    The rise in exam results will continue until schools stop spoon feeding kids and actually make them do the work themselves and they are all guilty of this no matter what the school or where it is. mainly as a result of bully tactics by SLT teams who are worried they will get the boot next time OFSTED walks through the door.

9. She also has a "paid for" website.

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Yes, you are both right.
    But I still think she's gorgeous.

11. This isnt correct, my wage was increased. I was told if you dont complete your NQT year it wont go up which seems fair. In fact wages are going up due to the AWR with Principal.

12. elephantfeet

elephantfeet New commenter

In Scotland pay and conditions changed after the summer and now if you do day to day supply or anything up to 5 days in the same class you are paid the equivalent of a NQT - I am top of the pay scale so you can see this is quite a kick in the teeth for most supply teachers who do supply work through choice. We are now getting less than your cover supervisors per day. After tax it's about £50!! I'm sure I could get the same/hour at Tesco's without all the stress!! The great work we do in the classroom has been trivialised. We don't have the equivalent of cover supervisors here as there must be a qualified teacher in the classroom at all times but as you can see our pay has been slashed to almost that of a CS. Hope the powers that be don't do the same to you down south as then they would be able to justify things by being able to say that they have qualified teachers in the classroom but actually paying them the equivalent of a supervisor. Supply teaching certainly isn't what it used to be and the sooner I get out the better!

13. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

With LA work, you can go up the payscale even if you haven't started or completed Induction. You get pay progression if you did some LA paid teaching in at elast 26 separate school weeks.

14. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

£100 is what is the agreed pay for Supply across the city with all the Agencies....................... that includes holiday pay as well so actual pay is something like £92 per day.........

15. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Of course the reason they don't have any work is precisely because they pay to scale.

Schools have budgets to work to. Employing a supply teacher via an agency can be half the cost of a LA supply - because agencies don't pay as much.

This is something our unions should care about - by collective action, forcing schools to pay scale rates for teaching jobs.

But don't hold your breath. Union leaders seem to be more interested in forming links with developing countries and most union members are permanent employees who think supply teachers have a cushy number that pays more than scale rates anyway.