1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

princess stories/ castle role play

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sashaleon00, Mar 14, 2009.

1. i have been doing traditional tales this term, and the chn are loving it as much as me, (esp. the gingerbread man last week).
    this week i plan to do princess stories, but am at a blank as to what activities i can do - i have no inspirational ideas at all.
    the chn asked to learn about princesses and dragons... Any ideas?
    i thought of making wands, princess hats/dragon masks, sequencing story pics, invites to ball, looking at o clock time, ...but no wow things...
    also, i am going to make a castle role-play area - outside is sorted - with bunting, coat of arms to be made by chn, but what can i put inside?

any help appreciated! thanks!
    stewarts7777@aol.com

2. i have been doing traditional tales this term, and the chn are loving it as much as me, (esp. the gingerbread man last week).
    this week i plan to do princess stories, but am at a blank as to what activities i can do - i have no inspirational ideas at all.
    the chn asked to learn about princesses and dragons... Any ideas?
    i thought of making wands, princess hats/dragon masks, sequencing story pics, invites to ball, looking at o clock time, ...but no wow things...
    also, i am going to make a castle role-play area - outside is sorted - with bunting, coat of arms to be made by chn, but what can i put inside?

any help appreciated! thanks!
    stewarts7777@aol.com

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sashaleon, those ideas all sound fine, so why are you fretting about 'wow' things? The wow things come from the children. How on earth did children ever grow up well educated and happy before everything had to have a wow factor? All the brilliant ideas in the world will count for nothing compared to the small things that spark children's imaginations. and they can be very basic indeed. A few well-told [not necessarily read] stories; some nice dressing-up clothes [not from the fancy-dreess shop] and a nudge in the right direction....
    Aren't we supposed to be engaging children's imaginations? How is this best done? I'd focus on some vivid and melodramatic role-play of the sort young girls really get off on. Kidnappings, locking up in towers [motives unknown!] - that sort of thing.
    Sequencing stories is all very well as long as you have a sense of how stories work.

But that's another story.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I have a bee in my bonnet about this. I think it's better to tell so many stories that chilldren get a feel for story-shape.

5. Thanks for your comments...
    i agree that we need to encourage chn's imaginations, let them lead, re-tell and read lots of tales which I do because I LOVE story telling - and I totally see where you are coming from.

But I have an SMT who want to see planned activities for each area of learning, for the whole week ahead, with clear differentiated activities in all areas - including in my continuos provision as well as adult led tasks, and I am becoming overwhelmed with it all...
    if you have any suggestions on how to do this, or are willing to share how you manage your daily activities I would be very grateful.

Enhancement ideas for CP areas anyone?

6. I just did a half term's work on pirates and princesses - the kids LOVED it and we had so much to go on!! You have some good ideas already, I do agree with some of what the pther poster said about those ideas being fine because if that's what the children want to learn then great!
    As well as the ideas you've already put, mine liked adding/subtracting practically with "jewels" (adult initiated obviously), making tiaras and shields: comparing characters from the same story in different forms: for exambple reading three or four different versions of Sleeping beauty and comparing their favourite character, you cna also tie in their knowledge of the Disney characters because if they're anything like our children it will be vast and wide!!
    We did some work on dragons etc. Constructing castles, ships, towers etc for the characters. We made a class collage princess out of lots of different materials. Lots of writing: invitations to the ball, sorry letters from bad characters, wanted posters, lists of what we might need for a party. You can get some good maths problem solving from trying on shoes for different people a la Cinderella. Good links to PSe as well: not talking to strangers, treating each other kindly etc. I'm trying to think what else we did but I ca't remember!! If I have any other thoughts I'll let you know - have a you done a search for princesses in the TES search engine? I'm sure you'll get loads of ideas from there xxxx

7. You are doing an absolutely fantastic job and have the children's interests and welfare at the heart of your teaching philosophy.
    You must believe in yourself and your abilities because I know that you inspire people!!
    I can almost picture your class and the castle and the tree!!!
    Keep believing in yourself - I believe in you!!!!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Stories like fruit and veg need to be 5 a day for a healthy diet

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've just reeread my post and am a bit embarrassed by it. Ever the hasty poster!
    I've not got anything against sequencing. What I hate is that I've seen so many teachers cut back on pure storytelling when I'm convinced that nothing teaches story shape, or fosters prediction, better than lots and lots of stories. I'm not belittling cross-curricular links.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

oops: reread

11. In our "castle" last term we had a portrait gallery! Showed the children some famous portraits, provided plain paper and some with beautiful frames around - and a large plastic mirror. It was great fun!
    We also made some big cardboard backs for a couple of chairs to make thrones.