1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prince Edward's medals

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Middlemarch, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I just saw the fly past again on the news and once again exclaimed "Prince Edward's got a chestful of medals! He's got more than Prince William, who has several years' proper service in the army! Edward dropped out of the Marines without completing the course!"

Anyone - what are Edward's medals FOR? I'm outraged - my younger brother was a Royal Marine who saw active service in a combat zone - and he hasn't got as many medals as Edward!

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

None of his medals represent awards for military service. He is entitled to wear medals as a member of the Order of the Garter and the Royal Victorian Order. He also will wear a couple of jubilee medals and I think he has one from one of the Commonwealth countries (New Zealand perhaps?)

3. Middlemarch

Well obviously, as he didn't finish the course and couldn't possibly have medals for military service.

I just think it's pathetic that he turns up wearing such garb.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He must have got one for "It's a royal knockout" surely ?

Of all the royals he is by far the biggest, supremely untalented waste of space.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Orders

Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (KG)

Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO)

Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO)

Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO)

Honorary Member of the Saskatchewan Order of Merit (SOM)

Medals

Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal

New Zealand Commemorative Medal

Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal

Commemorative Medal for the Centennial of Saskatchewan

Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal

6. Middlemarch

In other words, Nomad, a load of 'awards' given to him by his Mum for being her son.

*Goes off to phone her mother and ask why similar gongs have not been forthcoming*

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What on earth is the Saskatchewan order of merit ?

Has he ever been there - it's the most desparately boring place on the planet (apart from Holt in Norfolk).

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Absolutely, Middlemarch.

Mind you, I do clearly remember in the late 1950s my mother making me a medal for being a good boy which was constructed from a silver milk bottle top and some ribbon.

(We couldn't afford gold top!)

9. Middlemarch

I didn't really ring my mother as she'd only have said something along the lines of it all being about me, me, me, etc.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Edward also managed to collect the entire Robertson's Golly Band by sneaking downstairs to the servants' pantry and nicking all the tokens from behind the jam jar labels. However it wasn't considered appropriate for them to be displayed on the balcony at the Battle of Britain Flypast.

11. Dangerous Bauble

Dangerous Bauble Occasional commenter

I'm sure the third one down on the left was for being in The Tuffty Club.

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yes, and the one next to it is like mine for being an Ovaltiner.

All sing: "We are the Ovaltiners..."

13. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I recently passed my gold medal in ballet. That's the only medal I've ever got. But I earned it so it means more than Prince Edward's multiples!

14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I bet he doesn't have a Blue Peter badge like wot I do!

15. Dangerous Bauble

I see your Blue Peter badge and raise you my Butlins Beaver Club badge. :¬))

16. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Cycling proficiency here. I wear my badge with pride.

I did actually get a Blue Peter badge but my mum put it through the wash and ruined it. I have struggled to move passed that.

17. Dangerous Bauble

Was it from Val?

I was awarded a BSc at the age of 6........bronze swimming certificate.

18. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

It makes those of us who have served angry. Princess Eddie failed if I remember correctly, his Royal Marine training. So mommy reached into her dress-up box and gave him a set of uniforms as a consolation prize.

I hate to see Royals strutting round in uniforms they've not earned the right to wear, case in point is Anne - she looks like something out of Gilbert and Sullivan.

HMQ served in wartime - she is the boss so she can wear what she wants

Phil the Greek - ex wartime RN service

PoW - served in the RN

Andrew - served in the RN in the Falklands

Wills - trained pilot, RAF

Harry - action man, helicopter pilot and tours of 'Ghan

19. Middlemarch

Exactly my point, Shifter. My younger brother was in the squad which entered Royal Marines commando training immediately after Princess Eddie and the details of his failure were the talk of the camp at Lympstone...

20. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I take my hat off the the PoW, he was offered his parachute wings because he was Colonel in Chief of the Paras, he refused to accept them as he's not earned the right. Later he took and passed the course and now wears them - a pal of mine trained him.