1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prime ministerial briefs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by colacao17, Feb 23, 2020.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Of course - for Johnson self-interest rules.

No thought for the good of the country: takes on a job for which he is poorly suited and in which he has no interest, but which gives him the power & responsibility of making decisions which affect the lives of individuals and the UK as a nation.

Yet some think he is fit to have the ultimate job in the UK with even greater power & responsibility to affect the lives of individuals & the UK as a nation.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That's politics for you.

It's not what "some think", it is how people voted. Johnson was decisively voted leader of his party and then his party decisively won the general election. That's democracy for you.

border_walker likes this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

:confused:
    Yes - that's exactly what I said - it's what some think.
    Others disagree.
    That's democracy for you.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Johnson is the 'boss', his bat and ball, like it or hike it.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

However much you dislike him he is our 'leader'
    He was the only one who finally forced through what leavers wanted, and for the moment he has a few years to establish his credentials as a mover and shaker in politics.
    I cannot see anyone else able to do what was done. Other political parties would b too frightened to leave as they would have to make decisions contrary to this love of being governed by the EU. Others have such disarray within the party that even if elected chances are it would have fallen apart with bitter infighting.
    Many great leaders have come to govern as the need arises, who otherwise might not have even got a look in.
    I would not describe Johnson as a great politician, but he had the force of personality( guided by better advisors than May's ) to do what others wouldn't, couldn't or were too frightened to do.

border_walker, T34 and lexus300 like this.
  6. florian gassmann

The democratic point is that more wanted him than not.

oldsomeman likes this.
  7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That doesn't make him necessarily fit for the job.

Sally006 likes this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Theresa May, Jeremy Corbyn??
    Name your alternative and let us explore that possibility.

9. florian gassmann

Agreed. It simply means that the electorates concerned considered Johnson and his party to be a better choice than the alternatives who put themselves forward.

10. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

A toss up between Fawlty Towers and Love Island.

ajrowing likes this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Why?
    This thread is about Johnson.
    I don't need to compare him with anyone but himself and his record as Foreign Secretary, a job for which another poster claimed he was unsuited and in which he wasn't interested.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

As a major critic of Boris perhaps it would give balance and credence to your argument if you had a viable alternative to discuss?

border_walker likes this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

No it wouldn't.

His record as FS stands.
    He was not interested in and was unsuited to a job which is a vital post in the UK government and has a major impact on our international relationships.

This to me does not bode well for that person becoming PM.

End of.
    No need to qualify further.

colacao17 likes this.
  14. florian gassmann

Johnson may not have had any interest in the job of foreign secretary but many world leaders don't, of course, have any experience whatsoever of being a foreign secretary - Macron, Merkel, Conte, Sánchez, Rutte, Trump, Trudeau, Putin, Morrison ... I'm hard pressed to think of any, apart from Seb Kurz, in fact.

15. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Their having no experience at it at least allows us to believe that they might have done a good job at it.
    With Johnson we know that's not the case.

16. florian gassmann

Trump? Putin? :eek:

But neither did Johnson make a bad job of it, with the exception of the blunder over Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe. Even there, no foreign secretary has made a great job of dealing with Iran. Other things, such as referring to Africa as a country, or starting to recite The Road to Mandalay in Myanmar, were hardly matters that affected the UK's position in the world. They were just indications that Theresa May had appointed the wrong person for the job - almost certainly, as I have said, to keep him out of her hair, poor woman.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020