1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prime ministerial briefs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by colacao17, Feb 23, 2020.

1. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

2. colacao17

So the clown of a PM can't be bothered to read memos if they're too long and MI5 is limiting the intelligence it passes to Priti Patel because of a lack of trust.

Stiltskin and Laphroig like this.
  3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I must admit sometimes I don't read @Duke of Yorks posts when they get over about 50 lines. o_O

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Two pages of A4 is not a memo - it's an essay.

“The length of this document defends it well against the risk of its being read.”
    — Winston Churchill

5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

[QUOTE="florian gassmann, post: 13038999, member: 166303"\]

“The length of this document defends it well against the risk of its being read.”
    — Winston Churchill[/QUOTE]
    A bit like marking pupils' work.

Why produce a page of foolscap in various colours when "satisfactory" will do the same job?

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

So he's bone idle and has a short attention span

Remind you of anyone ?

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Government by ADHD

#omnishambles
    #liar
    #attentionspan

colacao17 likes this.
  8. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

The thought of Johnson’s briefs made me gag.

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

How long should a brief be? Does the name give a hint?

lexus300 and Kandahar like this.
  10. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I'm glad to see I am not the only one who misunderstood the thread title...:oops:

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

As he has apparently disappeared of late you wonder whether in fact he has lost them.

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

He had a reputation for being lazy and not caring about details before he became PM. I wonder how long it will be before they have to keep putting his name throughout to retain his attention and then putting lots of pictures in it.

Sally006 likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

..and write it in crayon.

14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Perhaps they should create a podcast for him - Boris's briefs

15. florian gassmann

Unlike Theresa May, who tried to micro-manage everything herself, And look what happened to her. :(

The best advice I ever had,from the head when taking over as director of a relatively large department, was delegate - don't think you can do everyone's job for them. They won't thank you for it. Johnson may well delegate too much, but that is probably better than p.issing everyone off as May did.

16. colacao17

It's a disease in modern politics. Governing by soundbite. What can't be said in a snappy soundbite of c.140 characters is ignored.
    Hence we have brexit means brexit, get brexit done etc, but the detail re trade, re the NI border, re jobs, health and basic services, agriculture, is more involved so isn't considered.

Sally006 likes this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I am more and more reminded of a certain senior political figure across the pond.

Sally006, chelsea2 and catmother like this.
  18. florian gassmann

Really? Do you have inside knowledge of what David Frost is intending to consider? (Just because something is not leaked to the press doesn't mean that it is not happening: however, the government will be publishing negotiation guidelines in the coming week, I believe, for those keen to know.)

Kandahar likes this.
  19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As a self-employed builder I had to learn to delegate. Failure to do so meant my firm never grew because I wanted to be doing all the work and be in charge of ALL decisions.
    Any good leader needs to delegate. Some of the best heads I ever worked for told you what they wanted and then told you to get on with it, you reported back and then any corrections where discussed and made.
    As to not understanding do we have evidence that this is correct. One of his present failings is laxity in telling folks what is going on. This is a serious failing as folks then accuse you of not doing anything as seen re why isn't Boris visiting the flooding, which in reality is only giving sympathy, meanwhile much of the money for the south of England flood defences has been moved to the North of England. So working in the background he is..but folks like the negative aspects as its easier to be vindictive of somebody in that way.
    Like a lot of writers on these forums.

lexus300, border_walker and Kandahar like this.
  20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The two extremes in modern times maybe. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory during his brief spell as Foreign Secretary due to a lack of attention to detail. Dealing with other people's details as May did is one thing, but not paying attention to your own as Boris doesn't is also bad but in a different way.

Sally006 likes this.