1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Year 6 Maths.... need advice please!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Chocchip22, May 22, 2016.

1. Chocchip22

Chocchip22 New commenter

Hi All,

I have an interview tomorrow and I'm teaching Yr 6 for 30 mins of maths linked to their topic of Ancient Greeks. As they've done SATs, I decided to play safe and do an investigation. The investigation that I want to do involves working systematically to find all possible combinations. However, on my lesson plan I think I should write what area of the NC it teaches. This is where I need your advice! HELP! I've just looked and there is not a specific problem solving or 'communicating mathematically' section for Y6! What should I put?

Many thanks

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

@Chocchip22, look at page 3:

'The national curriculum for mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils:

• become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
    • reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
    • can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.'
    (Mathematics Programme of Study,: KS1 & 2, September 2013.)

Reasoning and problem-solving are not simply things in Year 6 Maths. They're Maths. As for communication, although not explicitly stated, that really comes under fluency. Fluency itself is from the Latin fluentia, if you want another historical link, and may be used in its linguistic application without using its core reference to understanding. Maths communication isn't all about words and numbers, hence diagrams. The Greeks were big on visual proofs and much of their reasoning was intrinsically visual.

Have a great time prepping and teaching your lesson. The historical element sounds interesting, especially given the reference to history on the same page as the above aims. Good luck.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    star9 likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Excusing me, @Chocchip22, there is an error in the following line:

It should read:

4. Chocchip22

Chocchip22 New commenter

Many many thanks. I can now enjoy the rest of my Sunday without worrying. I hope you enjoy yours too.

5. Vince_Ulam

You are welcome.