1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary with SEN

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ichbinmatt, Mar 16, 2016.

1. ichbinmatt

ichbinmatt New commenter

Hello everyone,

I'm applying for a PGCE for this September. I'm applying for a Primary with SEN (Special Schools) but I just have something on my mind.

I do want to work in a special needs school but I always want to retain the option of going to work in a mainstream primary school in the future if I wanted.

I know QTS technically means you can work in any school but I was just wondering if TES'ers think that I'd end up pigeon holed into SEN jobs by studying a SEN specific PGCE?

Hopefully this makes sense, I just want to keep my options open!

Thanks,

Matt

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I think that you would be an asset to a school with a qualification like that. A future role as a Senco would also be a good career move.

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Talk to the institution you are considering applying to (there is more than one institution offering this route). There will be various models of programme, with more or less SEN school experience. Go for the institution that is amenable to you being able to tailor your school experiences to the career path that you would like to follow.