1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary vs Secondary?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Daniiiii, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Daniiiii

Daniiiii New commenter

Hello,

I will be applying for a PGCE soon, but I was wondering - can anyone give some insight into Primary vs. Secondary? For instance, if you had experience as a Year 6 teacher, is it still a big leap to Secondary?

For example, how do placements work at Secondary? Will you specifically be working in the class of the subject you have chosen? Is the PGCE heavily focused on exams at Secondary level?

Also, does the Secondary PGCE include up to A-Levels - and do you focus on an age range as you would at Primary?

Thanks for your help!!!

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I have copied this from the other identical thread....

Primary V Secondary is not a debate you should be having. You need to get experience of the different phases and see what you think. To be honest, if you are attracted to teaching it must be for a reason. Is it to teach a particular subject at a higher level, or is it to nurture young children through the whole curriculum? The questions you pose are of secondary importance to this. You need to know your reason for getting involved in teaching. One wonders whether you are simply falling into this profession...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree with DYNAMO, one essential question to ask yourself is. "Is my main concern to nurture children and develop them as people or have I a passion for a subject which I want to inspire others to?"
    I've often been known to say that's the difference between Sec. and Prim.In Primary one is really involved in 'developing' and putting in the basics, whereas in the Sec. years 10-13 a lot of what one does is driven by exam specifications.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Your questions focus on the PGCE rather than what life is like for a Primary or Secondary teacher.
    I'm going to disagree slightly with the poster above because I think you can teach a subject and still want to develop and nurture young people. I do think you neec to look a bit more at the actual job and not just think of the one year of your PGCE and placements.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Fair comment Flere-Imsaho. It is just 'a blunt tool' attempt at explaining the difference.