1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary vs Secondary?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Daniiiii, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Daniiiii

Daniiiii New commenter

Hello,

I will be applying for a PGCE soon, but I was wondering - can anyone give some insight into Primary vs. Secondary? For instance, if you had experience as a Year 6 teacher, is it still a big leap to Secondary?

For example, how do placements work at Secondary? Will you specifically be working in the class of the subject you have chosen? Is the PGCE heavily focused on exams at Secondary level?

Also, does the Secondary PGCE include up to A-Levels - and do you focus on an age range as you would at Primary?

Thanks for your help!!!

JORDANDLADLA likes this.
  2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

You tend to get a timetable with a mixture of classes – different year groups, different abilities, different teachers.

Not really. You will certainly get some sessions on teaching for exams, though most of the focus tends to be on methods of teaching.

On placement, you probably won't get any classes just about to take exams (especially Year 11) because so much is at stake. You should get some Year 10 and/or Year 12, though.

Most do. Check that it is an 11–18 course. Some are only 11–16 (and some other rare combinations, like 7–14, do exist).

No. You tend to focus on the whole secondary range, as that's what you'll teach in a real job.

JORDANDLADLA likes this.
  3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

You do have to do the full primary range in our authority. In most primary schools you have to be able to teach in any class. Some schools move teachers every three years.

JORDANDLADLA likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you aren't sure which will suit you, then it can be easier to move later from secondary to primary than the other way round, especially if you train in something like maths or languages.
    Once you qualify, you can teach any age at all. Your PGCE doesn't sign you up to that exact position for life.

JORDANDLADLA likes this.
  5. bekezelam

bekezelam New commenter

It all about upgrade and you'll have to do your school practicals in secondary school.

JORDANDLADLA likes this.
  6. frnc

frnc New commenter

i just love how things are going in this career path that i took,i never saw it coming but here i'm,ready to face the challenges of being a teacher.i just cant wait to begin

JORDANDLADLA likes this.
  7. JORDANDLADLA

JORDANDLADLA New commenter

yes you do focus on age

8. frnc

frnc New commenter

Hello,

My friend will be applying for a PGCE soon, but I was wondering - can anyone give some insight into Primary vs. Secondary? For instance, if you had experience as a Year 6 teacher, is it still a big leap to Secondary?

JORDANDLADLA likes this.
  9. JORDANDLADLA

JORDANDLADLA New commenter

If you aren't sure which will suit you, then it can be easier to move later from secondary to primary than the other way round, especially if you train in something like maths or languages.
    Once you qualify, you can teach any age at all. Your PGCE doesn't sign you up to that exact position for life.

frnc likes this.
  10. frnc

frnc New commenter

JORDANDLADLA likes this.
  11. frnc

frnc New commenter

It all about upgrade and you'll have to do your school practicals in secondary school.

JORDANDLADLA likes this.