1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Training Bursary 2011-2012 - is there one?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Jinwin, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Sorry if I'm being really dim here but I'm trying to work out from this:
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/~/media/resources/about/letter_from_michael_gove_to_tda_on_teacher_training_places.pdf
    if there is a primary teacher training bursary. There isn't one listed so does this mean there definitely will not be one for 2011-2012, or does it mean (this maybe wishful thinking here..) that they just haven't announced it yet?
    I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any further light on this. I'm not in the country but I'm going to try and ring the Dept of Education in the next couple of days to get some clarification on this.

2. Hi,
    Sorry if I'm being really dim here but I'm trying to work out from this:
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/~/media/resources/about/letter_from_michael_gove_to_tda_on_teacher_training_places.pdf
    if there is a primary teacher training bursary. There isn't one listed so does this mean there definitely will not be one for 2011-2012, or does it mean (this maybe wishful thinking here..) that they just haven't announced it yet?
    I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any further light on this. I'm not in the country but I'm going to try and ring the Dept of Education in the next couple of days to get some clarification on this.

3. No, Primary PGCE attracts no bursary for 2011/12.
    The Department for Education (DfE) has identified the secondary subjects of maths, science and languages as key priorities with the greatest recruitment challenge. These subjects still need to attract higher levels of recruitment in the academic year 2011/12 and it is important that their bursary rates continue to reflect these priorities.
    Postgraduate trainee teachers in chemistry, physics, mathematics and engineering may be eligible for a £9,000 training bursary award. Postgraduate trainee teachers in modern foreign languages, biology, and general or combined science may be eligible for a £6,000 training bursary award. All other subjects do not attract a training bursary.
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/training-provider/itt/funding-allocations/training-bursaries.aspx
    The reason why it says 'may be eligible' is because some trainees like non-EEA overseas students aren't eligible for bursary.

4. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

It is a kick in the teeth isn't it? I can understand it being cut for future years, but we're already in the process and making plans. My husband's salary will keep a roof over the family's heads, but losing that £4k from our forecasts makes a huge difference.

5. Thanks for the reply, Alec. I appreciate it.
    Yes, this is a ridiculous time to announce these plans. Why didn't they make up their minds in October before people had applied? All that will happen now is that people who already have places will try and cope anyway and some will inevitably end up dropping out. With so few new teachers getting jobs, what is there to tempt people to do primary PGCE? We have a year of incredibly hard work, get ourselves into debt and then there are no jobs for us at the end of it. And on top of that, they're saying that they want people with at least a 2:1. There are much, much better options financially for people with a top degree. I think they left it this late so that people would apply assuming there would be a bursary and the numbers would still look good. But I have the feeling this is going to cause a serious problem a bit further down the line.
    Personally, I don't think I can afford to do it anymore. I don't know if there's any point going to my interview now.

6. I presume everyone's had a look here:
    http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680136&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Playing with the parameters, it seems there's between 8k and 12k of loans / maintenance grant still available for 2011 entry depending on your circumstances (£3 of which goes to pay fees)

Of course, this should all be grant or bursary...

As a married father of 2 with partner earning going onto a Primary PGCE in London I'll be eligible for £6k maintenance loan, £3k fees loan, £3k maintenance grant.

7. Don't mean to be rude, but how are you eligible for the £6k loan?
    We're on a very low income and I'm eligible for £3497 loan, £3375 tuition fee loan and £2906 grant.......I've tried all sorts of figures and can't make it give me any more than that!

8. EdgarTP will be studying in London, where the maximum loan rates are around £2,000 more than elsewhere in England, though if he is getting full maintenance grant, his maximum loan will be £5,475 (every £2 you get in grant they deduct £1 from your maximum loan).

9. Maintenance Loan - Paid directly to you £5475

Long Courses Loan - Paid directly to you £530

Tuition Fee Loan - Paid directly to your college/university £3290

Higher Education Maintenance Grant - Paid directly to you £2906

Alec is correct. My figures were approx.

10. Thanks EdgarTP that link was really useful. [​IMG]

11. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I think you've answered your own question there... they don't need to tempt people into the profession because there are plenty of primary teachers already, and far more who would like to train than there are places. If teaching is really what you want to do then it's definitely worth going to your interview and if you're offered a place you may be able to work something out financially.

12. I have been on this link too. It says I am eligible for all of the above but I heard from a friend (also applying to the PGCE) that even though I am living with my partner and have done for just over a year, I will still be dependent on my parents because I haven't been living on my own or with my parents for more than 3 years. So there is no point in my partner being means tested, which is what I was hoping to do in order to get the grant and bursary money.
    So I'll only be eligible for a £3k maintenence loan which is what I got when I did my degree. The Government thinks my parents earn a packet therefore i'm entitled to the less amount of money possible. Its really not fair.
    How on earth am I going to live on £3k for the year?? It would mean moving back to my parents just to keep costs down as my partner doesn't earn enough to support the both of us. [​IMG]
    If I get a definate place on a PGCE I am going to have to ring around to find out where exactly I stand because it might not be financially possible!

13. If you are 25 or more on 1st Sep 2011, you are an independent student and your partner's income counts.
    If you have been financially independent for 3 years or more (not necessarily consecutively) since the age of 18, whether you've lived with your parents or not, you are regarded as independent. Generally you need to have earned a minimum of around £7,000 a year to be considered independent, and this includes your undergraduate years where relevant (like part-time + holiday jobs). You need written proof of your income during those years to submit to Student Finance.

14. Ok, that makes sense! I thought I was doing something wrong! LOL!

15. There is no bursary for any Primary PGCE 2011/12 students I rang TDA to check because like you I was not particularly sure.

16. rapink

rapink New commenter

I was really hoping that wasn't the case. I'm trying to work out at the age of 26 having been in full time work, how I'm going to now afford to go back to Univeristy. I didn't think they would do this, it seems so unfair to do it this year.

17. MonsterTeachingIdeas

MonsterTeachingIdeas New commenter

rachaelfo: I am in the same boat. I'm 26 (nearly) and have been employed full time for the past 4 years. I have a flat (on my own) and am really worried now about how I will cope financially. I've been told by the finance caluclulator that I am entitled to £6818 but it's not going to be enough.
    I am currently on the look out for evening/weekend work to suplement my meagre savings and if push comes to shove I'm thinking about a Career Development Loan.
    Only got my offer on Friday (PGCE Early Years at Chester) so I'm going to ring them on Monday and see if they can give me any advice.
    Doesn't help only having 2 weeks to decide whether or not to accept the place or not: my stress levels are sky high! (Although I suppose it's good preactice for the course!)

18. Some universities offer a 'core bursary', which is completely unrelated to the TDA bursay and the student loans company. All you have to do is tick on the student finance application that you agree to share your financial information with your uni. I had no idea about this until I actually started my PGCE 2 years ago. I have a child so got £2000 (£1000 in December and £1000 in February), but even some of my friends on the course living at home with parents / childless / no dependents etc got half of that amount. It was a nice surprise! Contact your uni finance department to see if they offer it.

19. Thanks for the link EdgarTP, very useful. I can't get the "details of the course you will be studying" bit to take UWE no matter how I try to input it. Anyone else had any luck getting UWE in there?