1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary to secondary

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by shanices, Dec 18, 2016.

1. shanices

shanices New commenter

I am in my 2nd year of teaching at a primary school and have decided for a number of reasons that I would actually be much better suited to secondary teaching.
    I would like to apply for posts teqching English in a secondary school, however I have a Law degree and a primary pgce so I am aware that my qualifications are not as relevant as they could be.
    At the moment I am working in a large (800+ pupils) inner city London primary school and have experience tutoring english to a level which will hopefully sway a headteacher to hire me but I am aware this may not be enough alone.
    Could anyone give me advice on how to break into secondary teaching?
    I was considering resigning in Feb to do some secondary supply teaching whilst applying for a job to start in September so that I can say i have experience with the age range in a class setting. Are there any educational courses I should do?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes, there are conversion courses, which many supply agencies run, so ring around a few and ask. They are very short ( a few days), and basic, but would then allow you to do supply in secondary

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You don't need to do any courses or training.
    Your qualification enables you to teach in secondary already.
    If you find something free, then it can't harm, but there is no need to pay out.