1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary to secondary Psychology

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by RachieC, Sep 17, 2020.

1. RachieC

RachieC New commenter

Hi All, I’ve done a quick search but can’t anything recent about switching from primary to secondary. I have a degree in Psychology and PGCE Primary. I’ve been working in primary schools for the last 14 years and I’m now in my second year in a through school. Am I able to teach Psychology or do I need to do some kind of conversion course? I work in an international school in the UAE if that makes any difference. Many thanks

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

To teach in secondary you need to have a degree in a subject taught in secondary. You will need to know the specifications for KS3, GCSE and possibly A level. Your hardest job will be convincing a school you can teach to GCSE as you've never done it.

3. RachieC

RachieC New commenter

Thanks agathamorse. I already work in the school and it’s expanding from GCSE to offering A level. Current teacher teaching the GCSE course is an experienced secondary teacher but no background in psychology. I think the school would be supportive of me getting the experience in this role but we weren’t sure if my qualifications would cover secondary employment.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

As long as you have QTS you can teach whatever a head tells you to teach or whatever you can convince them to let you teach.
    Good luck. Psychology on its own is rarely enough to fill even one FT teacher's timetable in most secondary schools.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

If you already work in the school, just get up to date on the specifications. As a qualified teacher you can teach all age ranges.

6. RachieC

RachieC New commenter

Thanks for the information. I wasn’t sure if there was some conversion course but this has answered my question.