1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary to Secondary Conversion

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by amylou88, Jan 15, 2018.

1. amylou88

amylou88 New commenter

Hello everyone,

In 2011 I completed a degree in Primary Education with QTS. I have completed my NQT year in primary and worked for some years as a primary school teacher. In recent years I have suffered with ill health and decided to work as a TA and HLTA. I am currently working as TA in a secondary school and I’m very much enjoying the work. I am now on the other side of the health issue and I’m looking at continuing my teaching career and I’m considering secondary. Unfortunately I didn’t study a subject to degree level and I’m struggling to find any sort of conversion/subject knowledge courses that I am eligible for. Does anyone have any advice on this? I have English and history to A Level so these are the subjects I would most like to teach. Thank you.

2. everton11

everton11 New commenter

Hi there,
    As someone who has made the step from primary (4 years) to Secondary Science (now 3 years) without any extra training I'd say the move should be rather straight forward.
    My degree was in the subject I taught which made things easier.

In your case you will have to convince the school that you are skilled in the subject enough to teach up to ks4.

I'd advise you to apply to any positions of interest as I have consistently found our primary training is look upon favorably by secondary schools due to our (greater?) pedagogic skills.

Teaching a concept to a 8 year old who has no prior knowledge requires much more careful scaffolding than to a world weary 14 year old.

amylou88 likes this.
  3. kps2

kps2 New commenter