1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary to nurseryq

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by AmieLN, Oct 12, 2018.

1. AmieLN

AmieLN New commenter

Hi there.

I miss working with very young children (ages 3 to 6).
    I dont want to be a whole class primary teacher anymore, but I would love to work with children ages 3 to 6 and I am thinking of training as a nursery teacher working alongside smaller groups.

My degree covers ages 4 to 11, but most of my teaching career so far has beem with 4 to 6 year olds. I have also worked in nurseries before as holiday cover or supply.
    Is there a way to train to be a nursery teacher while working?

Many thanks

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If you gave QTS you don't need to re train, you can start applying for jobs. It would help you if you can get up to date on the EYFS though. Assuming you are currently in a school, can you approach the head and express interest in nursery and see what opportunities there are eg spend some time in a nursery if you can.

Obviously if you start applying for jobs, you may well be up against teachers with more early years experience but you don't know until you try.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You don't need to train, just look for a vacancy that appeals and get applying.

My qualification is for 11-18 and I've just started teaching a small class of 3-4 year olds.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. AmieLN

AmieLN New commenter

Thank you.

I work 4 days a week at the moment so in between learning to drive I am planning to spend some time at a nursery or eyfs setting.

Caterpillartobutterfly how did you get into that role if you dont mind me asking.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I was teaching year 3 in a school and a vacancy in the nursery class came up so I asked if I could move.
    SLT discussed it and thought it was a great idea.

agathamorse likes this.