1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary teaching models

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by emilystrange, Aug 30, 2017.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Following a conversation and some suggestions about maybe changing things, I just wondered what model you followed in KS2, if you teach two languages?
    I want to show SLT what other schools do, and possibly why they do it that way.

2. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Do you currently teach KS2, emilystrange? It's worth bearing in mind that the national curriculum requires KS2 children to make "substantial progress in one language" and that Ofsted have said in the past that they will be looking for children to be learning one language. Are you thinking about different year groups doing different languages or all children doing two?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So glad you've answered @Geekie. i knew you'd be able to answer emily's question and that National Curriculum quote may be just what she needs for her school. Have you got a link to it for her?

4. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

5. Lara mfl 05

I'm sure emily will be grateful for that link when she pops along later, Geekie. :)

6. Lara mfl 05

7. emilystrange

I am! Thank you!

8. emilystrange

At the moment we do two languages - one in 3/4 and one in 5/6. I've been talking to our high schools recently and one said that they start from scratch in Y7.
    It just all seems very messy atm with no consensus or agreement.
    We're having a MAT subject meeting soon which might help too.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. bonxie

bonxie Occasional commenter

Geekie and Lara mfl, I'd be very interested in your opinions on the best ways of organising the teaching two languages in primary. The Scottish Government recommends all young people to start learning a second language from P1 (Reception age) and a third language not later than P5 (Year 4). These recommendations should be implemented across Scotland by 2020. In our school, we're happy enough teaching French (using Camembear, Light Bulb Languages and Accès Studio) and have been allocating about an hour a week, usually split into 3 or 4 shorter sessions. We now need to introduce Spanish. Would it more effective to teach both languages every week, alternate them each term/year or something else?

10. Lara mfl 05

Arghh, hadn't heard about that initiative and not sold on the idea I'm afraid.
    Definitely don't keep switching, that's only likely to confuse children especially if they're the same parentage and similar to cause confusion.

I would definitely embed the initial second language first for several years and leave the learning of the third as late as possible. Natural linguists will probably cope quite well, but for children who struggle with English, learning too many languages might well just confuse them and they don't become competent in any.:(

Keep it fun though and use games/ puppets etc as much as possible.

11. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Ah, if you're an academy then that changes things: "Academies do not have to follow the national curriculum. They can choose their own curriculum, as long as it is broad and balanced and includes English, mathematics and science." You can only advise them I guess.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Hi bonxie, I've heard lots of good things about the 1+2 scheme up there in Scotland. I'm not that far away and wish they'd move the border just a bit further south! I would have thought there would be a bit of guidance for you about how you introduce the second foreign language. I'd recommend contacting the people at SCILT http://www.scilt.org.uk/ who really know their stuff. As we don't have the luxury of 2 languages in primary here in England, it's hard to advise.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. bonxie

I'd rather stick to teaching French. The children are confident and progressing well. The secondary school we feed to are pleased with the pupils' enthusiasm and the level they've reached by the time they transfer. I don't want to risk confusing the children by trying to teach them two languages but that's what the 1+2 policy says we should be doing.

For various reasons, the local authority has chosen Spanish as our L3 and I agree with the reasoning behind this decision. Our staff speak French but no other modern languages so there'd be no benefit to picking a different L3 anyway. When we've asked for advice, we've been told that it's perfectly possible for teachers to learn a language along with the children. We've not been given any resources for doing this or any pointers towards websites or schemes to work from.

SCILT has some useful stuff on their website for planning and assessing languages. I've been on a good course there and the staff were very helpful. What I don't have is knowledge of any school that has taught languages 2 and 3 in primary and worked out which way of implementing this works best. We've been told there are a lot of different ways it can be done and we can decide what's best for our school. I'd be really interested in knowing how a school, which has no teachers who know the proposed L3, has enabled their staff to learn a language and teach it simultaneously and effectively. Since we've got to get the children to work at sentence level in the four skills by Primary 7, I'd feel more confident in teaching them to do that if I knew a bit of Spanish vocabulary and grammar before I tried to teach it!

14. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

" When we've asked for advice, we've been told that it's perfectly possible for teachers to learn a language along with the children. We've not been given any resources for doing this or any pointers towards websites or schemes to work from. "

**sigh** Would they be happy for their own children to be taught by teachers that were "learning along with the children?"

15. bonxie

Learning along with the children isn't known as the best way of teaching maths, science or any other subject.
    I've yet to be convinced that it'll be a good way of teaching a language. I've also not met anyone who has done it, let alone evaluated the success (or otherwise) of what they did.

16. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

If you join the Languages in Primary Schools FB group, you'll get to meet other teachers who have done the same, not necessarily with Spanish but with other languages too.

bonxie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. Lara mfl 05

This is probably what our 'old group' that I mentioned has morphed ino now and I recommend you sign up.