1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary teaching less academic?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by weaselwithin, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    Firstly, this is not meant to offend, I'm going into Primary teaching in September and can't wait! However, I have come across people who see primary teaching as somehow less academic, and people who think I'm "too good" for primary teaching purely because of my good academic record. This hasn't made me question my decision at all, and I do not agree that anyone can be "too good" for primary teaching, but I was wondering how common this attitude is, and perhaps how others deal with this?
    Thanks for your help

2. I have never come across this attitude personally.
    If you want to teach, then teach. Who gives a stuff about the ill informed opinions of others?
    As for having a good academic record I have seen trainees with impressive academic records etc yet they are very poor teachers and others with what could be deemed as 'weaker' academic abilities who are incredibly good teachers.

3. Ah ha, yes exactly! I'm glad that the opinions I've encountered are not so widespread!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have to say I don't find primary teaching in the least bit 'academic' and I currently teach year 6. However I wasn't looking for an academic career when I chose teaching. If I had been I'd have chosen differently.

I think you need to be honest and agree with the people who say primary teaching isn't academic, but then tell them you are looking for a career that will..........whatever your reasons for teaching are.

I have a great academic record, and I use almost none of it. However I enjoy my job, it pays well enough and it is very secure, what more do I need?

5. I'm not sure what you mean by 'not academic'.
    It could be a really academic exercise to think deeply about primary teaching - and how we could update and improve our provision for primary children.
    That in some ways is SUCH an academic question, that it results in intense debate - which could arguably be viewed as 'academic'.

6. inq

inq

You sometimes get the same people saying ," Oh what did you do wrong?" when you move from Y6 to Y3 as they see YR as the lowest and Y6 as the highest and therefore a promotion!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ahh but I would call that research, and yes would be academic. If I go into educational research and think deeply and widely, etc, then yeps I would be in an academic post, but I'd not be a teacher just a mere academic!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Do you not see your role as encompassing both teaching and research? I know it is very much part of my remit within my school

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

so you never question how effective your teaching is or look at how other teachers work or investigate other approaches or read up on methods that might support a child with difficulties or discuss problems with colleague... you never visit other settings or attend conferences or training?

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Do you mean academic in terms of the course or the job?. I actually think both are academic, but the course certainly is and possibly more than say an english degree in terms of skill. It isn't just learning facts but researching and comparing different theories of child development. As an EY teacher I feel I do far more academic research during my job than even a KS2 teacher let alone a secondary teacher