1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary teaching in Thailand

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by susanneverth, Jan 31, 2018.

1. susanneverth

susanneverth New commenter

I have 10 years teaching experience in Scotland and 6 months in NZ.
    Myself and my family fancy a change and have talked a lot about moving abroad. We've been to Thailand a few times and think it would be a great place to live.

I suppose I'm after people's experiences of moving to Thailand to teach. Where did you move to? How did your family settle? Do your kids get free schooling at the school you work at? Have they settled at a new school?

Lots of questions!!

Thanks

2. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

You could do a search, there's plenty about BKK and other other parts of Thailand on this forum already. But yes you're right, it is a great place to live and most schools will give you two (sometimes more) school places. Don't go to one which doesn't. Your kids I'll settle if you settle and if you prepare them properly.

susanneverth likes this.
  3. sah79

sah79 Occasional commenter

Most schools will offer free place(s) for children. They also should offer medical insurance and flights for the children too. You would have to pay for uniforms, trips, lunches.
    Most children settle quickly but mine struggled seeing his parents around school everyday but not being able to spend time with us whenever he wanted (but he was only 3 at the time).
    Thailand is a great place to teach and as Lottee1000 says, do a search on here as there is already lots of advice generally on moving here.

susanneverth likes this.
  4. susanneverth

Thanks for your reply. It's good to hear that it's a good place to teach and live.

5. susanneverth

Thanks for your reply. Hope your son is happy there now.
    Can I ask where you teach? Was housing provided too?