1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Teaching in Scandinavia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by united141, Jan 3, 2019.

1. united141

united141 New commenter

Help, I'm looking to relocate to a Scandinavian country to teach for a year or so. Does anyone have experience of this or any best websites to find posts?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Please do a search.
    Most contracts start at two years, so there’s that.
    Salaries are not lavish. Taxes are high. Lifestyle and social benefits are good. There aren’t typical overseas hire packages- no flights, no housing.

3. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Extremely competitive, particularly at Primary level. Vacancies are generally few and far between. For example, in Sweden, the demand to teach English proficiency is largely for business people and you need a Swedish teaching certificate to teach in the public school system.

4. united141

united141 New commenter

Thank you for reply. I guess I just keep an eye out for positions in International Schools :)

5. united141

united141 New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I have done research and understand there are pros and cons. Ideally I'd like to see a position/salary to see if it would work. My pull is Norway or Denmark with my heart leaning towards Copenhagen. I will keep a look out for posts in International Schools :)

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

In Sweden definitely, and I think also in Norway and Denmark, all schools are public schools. Some are called international schools because they take an international focus and teach in English, but they are still public schools, funded by the government at the same level as every other school. Hence no international packages.
    Sweden did not use to require teachers to have a Swedish qualification, in fact you used to be able to teach there with no teaching qualification at all. Rules have changed in recent years though, and now a qualification is required, but I think a recognized qualification from another country is still ok.

7. united141

united141 New commenter

I have a degree, PGCE and 8 years primary teaching experience so I'm not worried about that so much. It's more actually knowing where they are advertised. I know the ones I've looked at online are in British International Schools but you may be right. As stated above they seem few and far between so I may have to look at alternative locations :) thanks

8. kendoddy

kendoddy New commenter