1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Teaching in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrwindows, Dec 26, 2015.

1. mrwindows

mrwindows New commenter

I'm looking at relocating to Dubai as a single, male primary teacher. Anyone got any advice on the pitfalls and positives of working in this country? What is the social scene like and what sort of pay brackets are offered? (most jobs just say competitive!)

Just at the investigative stage at the mo as am interested in making a move.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There have been one or two posters asking about teaching in Dubai. Perhaps it would be a good idea to do a Search.

agbak likes this.
  3. lyndz_84

lyndz_84 New commenter

Hi,

I am also at the investigative stage and considering making the move. I have spent some time on websites but some of the information seems conflicting. I would love to know if anyone has had any personal experience of teaching in the UAE!

Thanks

4. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

My brother has a friend who is a head teacher apparently in Dubai. She is looking for 15 teachers!!! I will do some more questioning. I don't know whether you are all primary or secondary but ill find out more about it. I've duly sent off my cv but have no intention of following anything up at the moment. Im looking for something VERY different in a Very different setting too.

5. mrwindows

mrwindows New commenter

I spoke to someone there and from what I can gather the life styles is amazing but as most of the schools are for profit, the work life can be about the bottom line as much as the children. Though I am sure schools could be widely different in this regard.

6. SUPER.SUPPLY

forgive my ignorance about these things. What website to you go to in order to find out about international schools, or ones in particular? I've been offered a Skype interview and have never done this before.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, there is a website called the Times Educational Supplement. In fact, this website has a forum for those who are teaching in international schools. The only problem with the TES Teaching Overseas forum is that the TES Moderators will probably delete your post if you mention a specific school. Yes, you can waffle on about international schools in general, but this is not much use if you need information about a particular school.

On the other hand, SUPER.SUPPLY, you could try the International Schools' Review. According to some of the posters on the TES forum, the *** has hundreds of worthless, inaccurate, scandal-mongering and exaggerated so-called "reviews" of international schools around the world. As I have written some of the reviews myself, I would say that perhaps a few of the *** reviews might be reliable.

Another possible source of information might be a school's own website. These are always reliable, truthful and accurate. (All pigs refueled and ready for take off.)

8. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

You can post on here asking if anyone has current information about schools in Dubai and some people are willing to private message to discuss their experiences.

Or like Hippo says, try ***. You have to take the reviews with a pinch of salt but it's worth looking at. Any school you go to is a gamble, whether you have heard good things or not. Every person's experience is different. Just remember that two years does really fly by and if you end up somewhere you don't like, you can always move on at the end of your contract.

9. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I tend to take the view with *** that if there are lots of negative reviews, there's a problem. If there's no reviews at all, then either the school is fine or management is so overwhelming that people daren't post at all. The school I'm at only has reviews from about 4 years ago - with a large staffing and management change since then they bear no relation to the school as it is today, though.

It's also a for-profit school. I can only speak for this one, because it's my only experience, but while the bottom line is important it doesn't dominate and we can get the resources we need (the main problem is getting them through Customs here!)

10. SUPER.SUPPLY

Thank you for your amusing reply hippo". Precisely the reason why I didn't mention the name of the ACADEMY because I thought that it would be deleted.

*** is where I'm headed, of course the website looks nice. I wouldn't expect anything else!!!!!
    I'm armed with salt and off to read reviews.

AND IF ANYONE IS WORKING IN DUBAI In the SILICONE OASIS PLACE THEN PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME, if this hasn't been deleted.