1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary teaching in a French-speaking country / area?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by clickcat, Feb 23, 2011.

1. I have a degree and masters from two prestigious UK unis but after a year in Asia which included teaching young children, I really think that I would like to go back to study for a PGCE in Primary. I am also a passionate Francophile but know that it is incredibly difficult to become a primary teacher there, since it is a civil service post, technically. I would like to get back to France as soon as possible, or even to Brussels or Geneva, despite my family telling me to keep moving around the world!

Can I reconcile these two... a love of French and (possibly) primary teaching too? :(

2. I have a degree and masters from two prestigious UK unis but after a year in Asia which included teaching young children, I really think that I would like to go back to study for a PGCE in Primary. I am also a passionate Francophile but know that it is incredibly difficult to become a primary teacher there, since it is a civil service post, technically. I would like to get back to France as soon as possible, or even to Brussels or Geneva, despite my family telling me to keep moving around the world!

Can I reconcile these two... a love of French and (possibly) primary teaching too? :(

3. I teach at an International school in France with a primary section. Why don't you see what jobs are going in the various International schools in France? However you would need a PGCE to get a decent post. Maybe without one you could do language support or something like that. Its a great life here, I would recommend it!

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Several good International schools in both Brussels and Geneva, but they, too, will want that PGCE, so go for it.
    Also Paris (2 options) Toulouse, Mougins, Nice/Sophia Antipolis. Not a wide field but a choice one.

5. Add to the list one in Marseille and one in Aix. One of my colleague worked at the first one back when it first opened and she has fond memories of it. When she was there they were trying to implement the PYP curriculum (she's a big fan, I'm not and we've had some really interesting discussions about it!). She didnt have a PGCE or the CAPES/IUFM, so I guess they would be open to your application provided it matches their current needs.