1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Teachers - Do you need a hand with ICT?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by BrewUp, Aug 13, 2011.

1. I'm looking to do some research before I launch a service for Primary schools to help with ICT and e-Learning. My background is as Secondary ICT teacher, but I have worked with a lot (80-100) Primary schools as an Education Consultant helping to adopt learning platforms.

One of the biggest obstacles I found was along the lines of 'where do we get the time for this'. Support from the LA advisors seemed more of a strategic nature, so the staff were left to get on with it. As an Education Consultant working for the learning platform provider, my time was limited too. We gave them a platform and the training but they were in the end left with it, if they didn't have time after the training they would leave it and they would forget it all so the platform was left unused.

There seemed to be a clear need for more hands-on support, for example to get the learning platform set-up, find and upload resources, deal with ICT suppliers and find solutions that meet requirements and short list things etc. The kind of things that an ICT co-ordinator might be asked to do but does not relate directly with core teaching and learning duties.

It would basically be giving schools an extra member of staff as and when they need it to do the extra stuff. It would be looking at the gap between what the peripatetic ICT support do (I have the education knowledge they dont to ensure the pedagogy is right) and what the ICT co-ordinators do (I have the technical knowledge to bring).

Also in the light of cuts many schools are finding it hard to pay for a VLE or could not afford one in the first place. Google Apps for Education is free and covers many of the things a VLE can do.

So I'd like to get responses from people on the following questions:

a, Would you value the services of someone to help you with ICT/e-learning?
    b. What kind of things do you need support for?
    c. Have you heard of Google Apps for Education?
    d. Would you be interested in trying it?

Thanks for reading, your replies are very appreciated, as I'm someone who is very passionate about education and technology and just want to help as I've seen first hand a lot of primaries schools struggle and to only be ignored by LA and suppliers.

2. I'm looking to do some research before I launch a service for Primary schools to help with ICT and e-Learning. My background is as Secondary ICT teacher, but I have worked with a lot (80-100) Primary schools as an Education Consultant helping to adopt learning platforms.

One of the biggest obstacles I found was along the lines of 'where do we get the time for this'. Support from the LA advisors seemed more of a strategic nature, so the staff were left to get on with it. As an Education Consultant working for the learning platform provider, my time was limited too. We gave them a platform and the training but they were in the end left with it, if they didn't have time after the training they would leave it and they would forget it all so the platform was left unused.

There seemed to be a clear need for more hands-on support, for example to get the learning platform set-up, find and upload resources, deal with ICT suppliers and find solutions that meet requirements and short list things etc. The kind of things that an ICT co-ordinator might be asked to do but does not relate directly with core teaching and learning duties.

It would basically be giving schools an extra member of staff as and when they need it to do the extra stuff. It would be looking at the gap between what the peripatetic ICT support do (I have the education knowledge they dont to ensure the pedagogy is right) and what the ICT co-ordinators do (I have the technical knowledge to bring).

Also in the light of cuts many schools are finding it hard to pay for a VLE or could not afford one in the first place. Google Apps for Education is free and covers many of the things a VLE can do.

So I'd like to get responses from people on the following questions:

a, Would you value the services of someone to help you with ICT/e-learning?
    b. What kind of things do you need support for?
    c. Have you heard of Google Apps for Education?
    d. Would you be interested in trying it?

Thanks for reading, your replies are very appreciated, as I'm someone who is very passionate about education and technology and just want to help as I've seen first hand a lot of primaries schools struggle and to only be ignored by LA and suppliers.

3. Is Google Apps for Education a VLE ? Can it really "cover many of the things a VLE can do" ? What about the marking/tracking/SCORM features of a VLE ? GAE seems to provide Office facilities (Calendar, Contacts) but not much else.
    It looks like me more like an attempt to implement Office in Javascript. Whilst this is commendable this immediately suffers from the limitations of Javascript.

4. there are plugins that can do the vle side of things. but to be honest i've dealt with over 100 schools using learning platforms but very, very, very few of them were interested in scorm, especially primary schools. this a. due to cost of buying scorm resources and it did not suit the way they workr. Being able to share a word document that had the task on was more important and you can do that through the calends in GAE. Dont forget you can also make sites and contain learning material through that.

I'd be the first to admit commercial platforms like frog offer more and better solutions, but that is like buying a BMW, but what if you can afford that and just need a mini to get you around and get the job done? Well that is what GAE does, it does much the job but it free.

5. We have a VLE - LP+ which is based on share point. I have developed many sites and resources in it and am still developing each day - I suppose at my school the problem is finding a way to really get the staff to adopt this way of working - I am slowly encouraging staff to use some features, but for any system to work it needs a commitment and this is difficult to get when there are so many demands on teacher's times at the moment. I really do believe though that the use of it could help impact teaching and learning. It would be good to talk to someone who could really help me come up with a plan and strategy to embed it within the school, so it doesn't become a chore it becomes an efficient way of carrying out tasks.
    Denise Phillips
    Townhill Junior School
    Southampton