1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Teacher interview lesson task no preparation!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Binks123, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Binks123

Binks123 New commenter

I hope somebody who has been in a similar situation can let me know what to expect..
    I’ve been invited to interview (Y1 jobshare) on Friday and was finally sent the interview schedule tonight at 9pm! There is a full day of activities planned including a lesson task which will be given on the day. All I know is that I have an hour to plan the lesson then there’s a 25 minute slot where I will be observed teaching (presumably to the Y1 class).
    I’ve never come across a task like this - I was expecting to be given something to plan in advance. I’m finding it a bit unnerving not knowing what will be sprung on me and worried in that kind of pressure situation I won’t be able to do myself justice. Would love to hear from anybody who has been asked to do something similar. TIA

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think some schools are moving more towards giving tasks on the day to create a more even playing field.
    Just remember that everyone may be feeling the same.

Binks123 likes this.
  3. Binks123

Binks123 New commenter

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations, you have impressed them!

You should prepare by deciding how you will plan. Draw up a plan for planning, if you see what I mean! Remember the basic rule: do NOT start by thinking of a nice activity that goes well whenever you use it. Start instead by thinking of what you want the children to learn, how you will achieve this (i.e. activities) and how you will asess. Might be good to have a half-way assessment, v brief, as it's a 1/2 hour lesson. And ensure that you have at least a stab at inclusivity and adjusting to levels.

You might find this useful overall in preparing yourself for interview http://bit.do/Click_2

Hope everything goes swimmingly!

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Binks123

Binks123 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. Good idea to focus on the planning process. Without any prior knowledge of the subject or objective I’ll be asked to cover I guess this is all I can do.
    One question-adjusting to levels? You mean adjusting my activity to suit different ability levels?

TheoGriff likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm not Theo, but in case she doesn't pop back for a while I'd assume that 'adjusting to levels' means adjusting to the cohort with which you're presented. I'm assuming you won't meet the class before having to do the planning and therefore that quick assessment of ability at the start will enable you to adjust any planning dependent on that particular class, which may be more able / less able than you may be used to.

I'd also have a list of any websites you think could be useful to refer to for any planning, as that's the sort of thing under the time constraints may just 'evade your memory' and having them written down will help you feel more confident and save you time.

TheoGriff and Binks123 like this.
  7. Binks123

Binks123 New commenter

Good idea and thank you for your reply!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.