1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary teacher in Milan

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by laura_j123, Mar 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. laura_j123

laura_j123 New commenter

Hello,

I have an interview for a school in Milan and have been reading mixed reviews on salary/living costs/lifestyle, however these reviews have all been from 5 or so years ago. Has anyone got any more recent experience teaching and living in or near (had a quick look at Como) Milan?

Thanks!

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I can't imagine teaching in Milan has become any more lucrative in the past 5 years.

From someone living in a similar European city I can tell you that your wages won't go far. You're not going to be saving much, if anything. However if you can get by you could have a great time.

3. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Be very aware! I have a friend who taught in Milan who I visited during a half term holiday. We both detested it and she managed to clinch her teeth and complete a year. She nearly did walk several times, however. Awful bureaucracy to get her town hall paperwork done with offices barely opening for two hours on certain days of the week. An ugly city remains following world war bombings with 1950 factory-type erected buildings. Really it isn't a Gucci paradise city at all. Long queues at train stations with only two ticket machines in each where you don't feel particularly safe with a lot of beggars. Very low salary with a relatively high cost of living. She couldn't save enough to fly to UK during the school holidays. Frequent earthquakes and evacuations at school. Freezing winters. Italian staff resented her being there on another contract and one teacher even opened her payslip. You notice there's always a high number of vacancies in Milan? This is unusual for Europe.

Lake Como was a nice experience, along with the excellent food, we went on a boat trip, however, you could do that during a long weekend holiday, it is very different to work there. The only teachers in different schools in Milan she knew who ever stayed more than a year were all married to Italians. Perhaps there are people who adore teaching in Milan year on year and save a lump sum but I'm sure they are very few and far between...

sabrinakat likes this.