1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary teacher considering part time: possible not to work on day off?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by sarah_dann1, Mar 25, 2019.

1. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate hearing about the experience of any part time primary teachers.

We want my husband to work 4 days a week next year so that he gets a day a week with our children. Previously he worked 5 days and I did 3. We would like the children to only do 3 days a week in nursery and for us both to get 1 day a week with them.

Obviously, on the day off, we will have young children so won't do any work. I am a secondary teacher and it was (just about ) possible to manage my work load when I was doing 3 days. However, my husband is in primary (year 5/6) and is concerned that it will be too stressful as everyone he asks says they work on that day off to cope.

Can anyone give me any positive stories about teaching 4 days a week at a primary school?!

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Does he have to work on Saturday or Sunday now? If not, he'll be OK. If he does, he'll probably need to work on his day off or a weekend day.
    I teach full time but have colleagues who do four days. The class is regarded as your responsibility because you are with them most of the time so you're losing some money but not that much responsibility. On the other hand, my colleagues who do four days say they enjoy having the ownership of their own class while still having a day way from school each week. They get asked every year to go back full time (my school does not like job shares) but always say no so that has to be a positive!

3. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Thanks for your reply. He can usually get by doing a couple of hours on a Sunday so perhaps he'd be ok. Good to hear your colleagues keep doing it!