1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Syllabus

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Msz, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The legal requirements are to cover the National Curriculum . How you do it is up to you.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

That's primary teaching. There are maths schemes which you can follow, cost implications, but most schools have their own syllabus deciding on how areas from the NC will be covered. Some schools do this through the Creative Curriculum. You need to take the NC objectives for your different year groups, some will be the same but at a higher level and plan your own syllabus to cover them.

3. Get a teaching degree? Don't really think anyone can condense 4 years into a post on here which is basically what you're asking them to do. [​IMG]
    But, on a more practical note, if you search Primary National Strategy you will find the things you need for maths and english. You might need to do a bit of searching as its not really available on the proper sight any more. But as the poster above said, you are actually in a fantastic position of being able to teach what and how you like within the NC.

4. Not everyone likes the old QCA stuff but the schemes of work could be useful for you - they're old now and have been archived but they'll give you an idea of what to expect at each age range.
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20090608182316/standards.dfes.gov.uk/schemes3/
    If you look at Geography KS1&2, for example, then unit 6 onwards is KS2. I still look at them for ideas and think they're still relevant, even though I alter them to suit where I teach and the children in my class.

5. Thanks guys. I've been asking other primary teachers for help but none of them seemed to give me the straight answer that I could teach what and how I like. I thought there were some standardised topic list which had to be covered. But I guess the schools they work in give them syllabuses to work from.

Tills I'm not asking for four years to be condensed in one post, just some direction, since I don't have background knowledge in Primary Curriculum and teaching at all.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think you may just have touched a raw nerve saying "un-qualified teacher" & " I don't have background knowledge in Primary Curriculum and teaching at all."There are literally <u>hundreds</u> of unemployed teachers who can't get jobs, because of their expense to a school, who are being replaced by people like yourselves, so not surprised you haven't received much sympathy.
    However as to your dilemma. NC is the only requirement, although your school will need certain things to have been covered by the time they reach 11 and take Common Entrance.
    Try looking at old schemes which you could adapt. Remember any good teacher adapts ideas for their own particular children's needs. Keep in mind what they MUST know by year 6.

7. I'm with Lara on this one. When I first read your post, I had to bite my tongue and not send a reply straight away. It's just floated back to top of the forum page so I thought I'd have another peek.
    I know it doesn't help the situation you are in, but if I were a parent paying for my child to attend a private school, I'd be horrified at the thought of them being taught by someone without the relevant background, qualifications and experience.
    I worked bloody hard as a mature student to gain QTS, working full time and studying part time. I sacrificed family time and paid what amounts to a small fortune to do a foundation degree, then top it up to a BA, then a GTP. It took 7 years in all, at least &pound;20,000 (and actually an awful lot more if you factor in lost earnings from a previous career).
    My seven years and lots of money means I can look at the National Curriculum, know what my year groups need to be taught and write medium and short term plans which then become engaging, enjoyable lessons which help children progress and learn.
    Sorry if that sounds harsh, but the original post completely gobsmacked me.

8. I'm sorry I completely horrified you all with the situation I happen to find myself in, that's down to the school deciding to hire me. I was surprised myself when I found out that it was possible to have a teaching job without being qualified. It's a very small school however, and they really don't pay very much at all. I'm also part time and the school's 'full time' is also actually part time. They pay literally per contact teaching time- the maximum would be 5 hours a day. £6ph, if you have no degree, 8 if you have one, 10 if you have a pgce). After necessary expenses I save £30 a week.
    Many qualified teachers often use it as a stepping stone and hope to move on from it anyway. In any case I am hoping to start a PGCE in 2012, I'm sure after I graduate I will experience the same difficulty of finding a job myself.

I'm just wanting to do the best I can out of this situation for the children. Also I do have a little understanding of schemes of work and lesson planning from having done a PTLLS course and have taught different types of short courses to adults however it's Primary I don't have experience with in particular, and I was just looking for some genuine advice on how to make sure the children are learning exactly what they need to. I appreciate all the help, thank you again.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I cannot believe that a private school would employ a non qualified teacher on minimum wage to teach a class - and only pay contact time.
    That is wrong on so many levels - you are being exploited, the parents are being conned and the children are not getting an education that private schools are supposed to deliver.
    Teaching, planning etc - all available on the archived DFCS website. You have a large mountain to climb.
    Sorry.