1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary support role interview help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by garedelyon, Aug 14, 2020.

1. garedelyon

garedelyon New commenter

Hello,
    I hope this is okay to post but I have an interview in a couple of weeks for a primary support role. I haven’t worked in primary before so I’m trying to familiarise myself with the curriculum. Only problem is the interview lesson theme has completely thrown me off! Relative size and similarity to be precise, not the actual exam question. I don’t know if I’m looking too much into it but I need to do a 5 minute lesson but I keep going off on tangents thinking about scale factors and it’s stressing me out so I feel I should ask the experts for some ideas, not necessarily telling me what to do but I feel so stuck! I have an A grade at GCSE maths just to provide some context I feel I shouldn’t be finding this difficult especially as I’ve looked through the curriculum to try to familiarise myself so any help I would be most grateful!

“You will have 5 minutes to explain relative size and similarity using the question below. You may bring the question, more similar questions, a sample worksheet or any other resources you feel will enhance your explanation.”

Attached Files:

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

This was a question which really threw our Year 6s on the SATs paper - can't remember which year it was. Only the HA were able to work it out. There's another similar SATs question which is much easier to use as a teaching tool - google 'Angel of the North' KS2 SATs question. Best of luck!

garedelyon and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. garedelyon

garedelyon New commenter

Hi thanks for replying, the part that’s really thrown me is the mention of ‘relative size’ and ‘similarity’, whilst I know what they mean in maths, I’m finding it hard to link them to the question. Unfortunately this is what I’ve been given to do and make it interesting in 5 minutes ha.
    I’ll have a look at the one you’ve mentioned. Thanks xx

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh I can see how if you're secondary this may look more complicated than it is.
    As far as Primary are concerned I would think 'similarity' is that both animals are the same. Therefore one can conclude using a base measurement you could guess the approximate length of each, which is submerged- their relative size based on their 'sameness'.
    If it were me I'd use something like measuring all the children's heights in a class and then comparing arm / leg lengths etc to see if we could come up with a 'guesstimation' as to whether we could guess a person's height from their arm/leg length. Something used in dinosaur reconstruction for example.
    Of course with just 5 minutes you couldn't do that, but just remember that most Primary children still need lots of 'practical experience' to acquire concepts- particularly if this is a support role.

The Maths is quite simple of course one subtraction and then one multiplication.

garedelyon and sunshineneeded like this.
  5. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Great explanation Laramfl 05. If you only have 5 minutes, keep it simple and clear. Good luck.

6. garedelyon

garedelyon New commenter

Ah that’s what I was hoping, just a case of describing similar shapes. You’re right they definitely need something more than me talking at them, I’ll see if I can fit something like body part proportions into it without over running, if it wasn’t for the 5 minutes it would be soo much easier to get creative with it but I guess that’s the challenge. Thank you both you’ve really been helpful and opened my eyes more.

Lara mfl 05 and sunshineneeded like this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would have thought that 'similarity' here would relate to the ratio of 'eye to nose length' to 'total length'. Crocodiles are ' mathematically similar' in that whatever size they are the ratio is still the same.

Sample resources might be various pictures of crocodiles of all different lengths and I'd get children to measure and multiply to check the 'similarity'.

I might then talk about using @Lara mfl 05 's suggestion with measuring children to show that while we say we are all similar, we are not mathematically similar. You cannot measure any child's head and multiply by X to get their height, for example.

I might also, if a more able group, move on to discussing and looking at Da Vinci's Vitruvian man and the ratios between arm span and height, etc.

If this is what they are asking for a primary support role, I imagine they are looking for someone confident with supporting in year 6, including with the most able. A great many people would be thrown completely by this question.

PS I'm guessing you will be explaining this to the interview panel, not to children, given covid restrictions. You will need to show how you would explain this to a child who was struggling.

Pomza, Lara mfl 05 and garedelyon like this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's why I explained as simply as I could, though I agree that
    is the key fact and if working with Year 6 would be important to stress.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think your explanation was fab. My comment about explaining to adults was in response to the OP saying
    I imagine the panel just want to know that the successful applicant can do the maths confidently in order to assist children in year 6.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.