1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary supply year 2

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jodignum, Jun 7, 2011.

1. I am a secondary trained langauges teacher. Had a career break to look after my children and am looking to get into primary teaching. I've been a TA in a secondary school recently and done one-to-one in a local primary school. They have asked me to do supply and am doing year 2 this week and next. Help!! any advice on fillers, etc gratefully received.

2. I am a secondary trained langauges teacher. Had a career break to look after my children and am looking to get into primary teaching. I've been a TA in a secondary school recently and done one-to-one in a local primary school. They have asked me to do supply and am doing year 2 this week and next. Help!! any advice on fillers, etc gratefully received.

3. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Were the agency short on teachers? I'm really sorry but until you have had booster/transferral (?)
    to Primary training I don't think its particularly right for you to be asked to teach KS1 in particular. May sound harsh but its just my opinon.

KS1 planning is usually quite tight, a story/IWB game is good for any spare moment.

4. can't find any kind of conversion course so not really sure how to go about getting more experience. Supply went well though!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree there's going to be little time for 'fillers'. Don't forget the children will be much less independant than you're used to in Secondary and will cope with the work at a wide variety of rates, so you do need to be prepared to have extension tasks for the 'quick finishers', but these need to challenges building on what you've done in the lesson.
    Any 'spare time' needs to be used to catch up on hearing readers in Year 2. They should have a book and a comments book in which you write after hearing them read for apprx 5 mins- so may be just 1 page or 5!
    There's usually also some activities such as a play corner, free choice activities for children who finish early too.