1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary supply when secondary trained

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BelleDuJour, Mar 4, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've been a supply teacher for 3 years now and have been lucky. I've been pretty much (well almost entirely) fully employed and have had to book a day off if I want one.
    All of this has been secondary and medium term, like half to 2 terms.
    Recently though my contract up to Easter was cancelled because the sick teacher came back and since half term I've been doing day-to-day primary. I've done years 1, 3 and 4.
    The funny thing is.....I rather like it!
    The little ones see a supply teacher as an exciting new person and genuinely want to please you. They are polite, work hard and are very helpful. They thank you at the end of the day.
    On the other hand, secondary pupils view a supply teacher who's in for just a day as fair game and an oppurtunity to have a day off and not do any work.
    I am on primary supply next week too. Love it! [​IMG]

2. I'm secondary trained too, and love primary supply (when they actually give me some work!). In my experience, when kids are still in years 4/5/6 (and even 7/8) education and the curriculum is still lots of fun; after that it's all working to exams which takes all the joy out of it as it's so prescribed. It's no wonder kids gets turned off in high school. I'd rather do number games and colouring bar charts any day. [​IMG]

3. BelleDuJour

It's wierd isn't it? I mean, I thought I'd rather stick pins in my eyes and boil my head in vinegar than teach primary school kids but I really love it! [​IMG]
    The wierdest thing is I loved year 1....help!!!! [​IMG]

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well in a bizarre turn around, I have been tutoring teenagers 1-1 for the last 2 years and I actually quite like them. They're not all the kind who you see hanging round at bus shelters. But to be fair, I do have a select bunch of them - nice middle class kids whose parents care about their education.
    Year 1 and 2 are great - but it's a very different style of teaching. I have been a primary teacher for 8 years but have only done reception once on supply and actually quite liked it. For a day. Do not think I could do a week.
    KS2 is different - it's quite demanding ([​IMG]) having to teach all subjects to level 4 and 5 everyday. But rewarding as well. And they are still quite keen.

5. I am secondary trained and teach in primary schools, but BE WARNED, they are not all like this!

6. BelleDuJour

I'm sure they are not but all my secondary supply had been disinterested kids taking the ****!

7. did you have and expirence doing primary first, did you just ask your agency if they would start offering you primary work. im secondary train but would like to give primary a go, but ive had very little exp of primary. what would my agency say if i asked to do some primary?

8. BelleDuJour

I had no experience, my agency just offfered it to me. I had done years 5 & 6 at a middle school, and my first primary experience was year 4. I did ask them to ensure all work is set nut, IMO primary teachers are so much better at setting quality work than secondary ones.....probably because they know it will get done by the pupils!
    There's certainly a lot more day-to-day work in primary than secondary so I'd just go ahead and ask your agency. Since my first day on primary I've worked there ever since and two schools have asked for me back by name!
    Good luck.

9. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

As a secondary teacher I do not mind teaching primary, but I seek to avoid KS1, especially Year 1, due to the simple fact they scare me. I would not say the work is any better set then secondary, because that is down to the attitude of the teacher and the school