1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary supply teaching ideas

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by fatlab, Feb 9, 2012.

1. I have just started supply teaching in Years 4-6 and really enjoying it, but have found afternoons tricky, especially if there isn't any set work to do and the whiteboard is off (haven't had a working whiteboard yet).

Could anyone suggest an activity which would engage children, get them working quietly at their desks and ideally involve some form of writing? Most schools I have been sent to have had high levels of SEN, but it would be lovely to have something the children could at least have a go at!
    Thanks for any ideas.

2. Good luck and don't forget the gel pens!

3. MrMercedes

MrMercedes New commenter

Hi, I had a yr5/6 class recently and did an art activity called 'album artwork'. Basically the children had to design a cover for an album they like or a made up album where they might even be the singer! A few children decided they would be in a group and did album covers for a song by their group. The children have to write the name of the song(s) and name of the group/singer on the album.
    They really enjoyed it and as soon as i mentioned the idea i had a flood of hands wanting to ask different questions about the activity so i think it was something that really interested them. All you need is a few album covers of your own to show them as examples. I also did some paired work at the beginning so they could discuss ideas. The activity is from a book i have, i can send you it if you like...

4. I would highly recommend a book called Outside The Box age 9-11. They have some really good complete lesson plans which are really well thought out and sound like exactly what you are looking for. Most usefull book I have purchased for supply (apart from poetry books).

5. This sounds great. I've just started supply teaching and haven't got many lessons up my sleeve (I'm an NQT), would you be able to send this to me please?

Thanks very much
    Tanya