1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary supply, marking expectations?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Flexiblesink32, Nov 9, 2019.

1. sparklebanana

sparklebanana New commenter

Hi, i’m Hoping to boost my part time teaching income with some supply work. I was wondering what the expectations were in terms of day to day supply. I Assume it’s expected that all books are marked but realistically this could be 5/6 x 30. How do you do this before you leave?

Please excuse my naivety, I’ve not done supply before.

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Well, first of all (depending on where you are) I wouldn’t get your hopes up of being offered much day to day work. If you look at some threads on this forum you will notice that a lot of us ‘regular’ supplies aren’t rolling in work.
    Now that’s out of the way - your question. Yes you are expected to mark every book in primary and I have had 100+ books to mark in one day. You can get round it by various means: self marking, use a TA, mark in the lesson (not always possible) and the obvious one - mark in your lunchtime, which is what I do. I can generally get through a set of books then. I always prioritise English marking and for maths an answer book is essential. Anything else will get marked after school - usually just a tick and a flick for other subjects. This is all assuming KS2- as a serving teacher anyway you’ll have your own marking techniques. It is a drawback of KS2 supply and you’ll have to do it if you want repeat work. Good luck!

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. sparrow2015

sparrow2015 New commenter

Hi. I've done daily supply for the last year and have always found the marking load to be manageable.

The best thing to do is to check with the person that shows you the work what the expectation is. A lot of schools only want an acknowledgement mark (a tick and "supply" written) for a daily supply. If you get a longer post in one place the expectation will more than likely change to meet the marking system of the school. Check whether practical work needs marking or whether they are likely to keep holding activities. I've found that if you're covering at the last minute (e.g a teacher phoned in sick that morning) the work is more something to do rather than actual work.

Hope that helps

4. sparklebanana

sparklebanana New commenter

Thank you so much for your comment, that really helps! If it’s a case of a quick comment and a “marked by supply” stamp that sounds manageable, it’s doing all the coloured highlighting, two stars and a wish, etc etc that I was worried about! If I was doing it longer term then obviously I would take books home.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Out of all the schools that I have been to only one expected me to follow their marking policy.

I have my own marking policy. I am paid until 4:30 and I will mark up until then and then leave. I generally leave a comment and then use a “marked by supply teacher” stamp. Mine has my name on it so I leave a lasting impression.

6. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 New commenter

When I was working supply I did a full mark on every book which meant I left school really late and now realise that was really over the top and not necessary. However, now I am working as a permanent class teacher, on the two occasions I have needed a supply to cover my class, they have taken their full lunch break and walked out with the children (one of them, having been booked for weeks, turned up AFTER the children on the two days she was booked). As a class teacher, all I would appreciate is the word supply at the bottom so that any book scrutiny does not result in a slapped wrist. However, it wouldn't as I spent the time fully marking the unmarked books!! Wasted my time leaving her full notes as TA said she didn't bother to read them. I am not suggesting that any of you would do that. As I said I've been on the other side working as a supply teacher and in many ways, that is the harder job! My only point really is that, if you don't have the time to do a more indepth mark, the word supply or just an S is sufficient to alert senior management or subject leaders to the fact that the class teacher didn't teach the lesson that day. My two leaves of absence were for the bereavement of a parent and an operation so I really wasn't in the best place to be doing any extra marking.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I used to be very pleased if supply did any of my team's marking (but I'm talking a couple of decades ago when cover supervisors did not exist!)

8. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I have done about three days of primary supply. Each time I have marked one set of books for the class- say for one subject- so about 30 books. Tip- mark books from a morning session, so you can start to mark at lunchtime, then complete the rest after school. Usually only 20 mins or so after end of school.
    I have stopped doing primary supply, it’s just not my thing.