1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary SMT pay

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by supply2008, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hi
    Just wondering what primary SLT in the same size of school/ similar role get paid...?
    I currently lead KS1, manage 3 teachers and 5 TAs and lead 3 other subjects (1 being core)
    School has approx 350 children on roll.
    I get paid TLR 2....Think it's 2b.... approx £2600 for this role.
    Are there many of you out there on TLR2a or TLR1?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Hi
    Just wondering what primary SLT in the same size of school/ similar role get paid...?
    I currently lead KS1, manage 3 teachers and 5 TAs and lead 3 other subjects (1 being core)
    School has approx 350 children on roll.
    I get paid TLR 2....Think it's 2b.... approx £2600 for this role.
    Are there many of you out there on TLR2a or TLR1?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

3. spmills

spmills New commenter

Sounds more like you have a TLR 2a - minumum is £2535. The next point (TLR 2b) has to be a minimum of £1500 higher than the previous, with a TLR 2c being the highest within the TLR 2 range.
    It is unusual for primary schools to offer TLR 1 payments, although I have seen a couple advertised in the London area. Our Key Stage 2 leader (number on roll approx 200) manages 4 teachers, 6 TA's and leads on Literacy and behaviour - only has a TLR 2a. This is the norm in the area where I work and due to budgetary constraints, it is unlikely that TLR payments will get any higher.

4. .....yet secondary schools seem to throw higher rated TLRs around quite liberally? (fuse lit- stand well back,,)

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds like you have a good deal.

I'm in the process of applying for a couple of similarly named roles, but with more staff (teaching and TA) to lead and more children whose progress to be responsible for.

The post which specifies an actual amount is advertised with a TLR of £2200. You seem to be doing pretty well.

6. This seems like a fair deal. You have a TLR 2a as others have said. It would be unusual, but not unheard of for a teacher in your position to have a 2b, which would be circa £4225.

7. Am in EXACTLY same position as you, with same staff, no on role etc. You could be describing my job - same money too I'm afraid!

8. yup . . . I'm Ks2 lead, assessment co-ordinator, arts co-ordinator, Literacy subject leader and Gifted and talented. Just the same x

9. Hi
    I am Phase Leader for Y1/2. 3 teachers, 3 TAs, 1 HLTA, 2 1:1 TAs, SMT position and I get paid NOTHING extra! I know it is my choice and I could have said no but our school just doesn't have money to pay for TLRs. There aren't any in the whole school of 320 pupils. I am not complaining - just telling you what I get. I love my job :)

10. Well i must be doing well. Numeracy co-ordinator and class teacher, get PPA and management time and am on a 2b!! Different schools have different structures. Some Assistant Heads do the same roles as you guys on 2a!!
    Odd the way it works. I suppose another example of no real consistency. One good teacher to another school varies a lot too.

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The amount of money schools get per child varies from authority to authority. Infant children in my LA are "worth" £2,300 each, whereas in a neighbouring LA they're worth £3,900. Consequently it's easier to get a TLR in the neighbouring LA because budgets are bigger in general. This has nothing to do with individual LAs, central government do not give equal funding to pupils across all authorities.
    My "a" allowance ( predecessor of the TLR), the princely sum of £1,200 extra per year was for the role of Literacy coordinator, key stage 1 coordinator, foundation stage co ordinator, home school liaison, senco, child protection co ordinator, ict co ordinator and deputising for the head in their absence. I had a full time teaching commitment in a mixed age class with 3 year groups, and was a teacher governor as well as running 2 clubs. The pay was peanuts for what I did but it was great experience and prepared me for my next role as deputy head. Which is basically what TLRs are usually about.