1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary SENCOs

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by tick/star/smileyface, Apr 3, 2012.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

HI all, I am contemplating going for a SENCO role in my primary school. It will be a teaching role - prob 1 day or 1 and a half days SENCO time. I'm really after honest opinions about the choice. I have a real interest in SEN but am concerned I will just be a paper work slave doing admin type things! Is this the case in your school? I know all schools are different but I am interested to hear what people think/ how your role works and any info would be great!
    Many thanks

2. tick/star/smileyface

HI all, I am contemplating going for a SENCO role in my primary school. It will be a teaching role - prob 1 day or 1 and a half days SENCO time. I'm really after honest opinions about the choice. I have a real interest in SEN but am concerned I will just be a paper work slave doing admin type things! Is this the case in your school? I know all schools are different but I am interested to hear what people think/ how your role works and any info would be great!
    Many thanks

3. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

It's incredibly hard work and incredibly rewarding. You WILL become a paper slave but not if you work cleverly. I have a ring-bound A4 notebook and on each page I split my week into Mon-Fri (with a few lines at the bottom for the weekend when it's needed!) and this way I know exactly what I have to do each day. This took me a few months of trial and error to get right - and some days of course I still end up not getting everything done on a particular day!
    Currently at my school I have two half-days to do all my SEN work and sometimes this is enough, sometimes it isn't and I end up taking plenty of work home. However it's changing as of next year, so I'll have two full days to do my SENCO job, which is thrilling because it means some weeks it'll be just enough time to do my paperwork, whereas other weeks it'll be enough to do paperwork as well as work on in-school projects (revamping things, being in classrooms, coaching, researching etc.)

My advice would be go for it, because it's such a fantastic job, and will you regret not going for it? Or are you happy to weigh things up first?

4. tick/star/smileyface

Thanks purplepixie. That is really helpful. Do you teach as well? I'm just concerned that the SENCO time will encroach on my class time. Are you unable to get all you SEN things done in your 2 days then (you say you plan mon-fri)? Many thanks.

5. sem022

sem022 New commenter

Hi,
    I am a full time class teacher for Year 1 and Year 2 and I am also SENCo, I only have one afternoon a week for dedicated SEN time. There will be a lot of paperwork and it is important that you can multitask (which I am sure you can if you are already a teacher!) If you are passionate I would definitely recommend it.. Busy as the role is, I find it very interesting, I have recently completed the National Award for SEN co-ordination. Is this something that you will have to do when you take on the role?
    I would recommend the role, but do consider that it is a lot of work on top of normal class teaching. I ideally would like to do the role full time and not have full class responsibility.
    Hope this helps!

6. tick/star/smileyface

Thank you SEM022. What is it you find the most rewarding? I know many SENCOs say they don't get a lot of time to work with the children - so is it more the fact that although there are lots of meetings and lots of paper work, in the long run it benefits the children? Or maybe you do get SEN time with the children too? I think I would have to do the qualification as I think it is required now. I see this as a positive though as it would give me a better understanding of the role? I presume!