1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary SEN School Interview- any further advice?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by pickles124, Nov 4, 2017.

1. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Hi all,

Apart from the usual things such as refreshing on safeguarding, child protection is there anything specifically i need to keep in mind for the class observation.

It's been some time since i was in a special school. Do i need to know any Majaton signs or would it not be deemed mandatory at interview stage?

Are there any people who work in a SEN school or with SEN children here? How do you support them with reading, writing, phonics?

2. pickles124

If anyone is there lol....

3. dreamcatcher842

dreamcatcher842 New commenter

When I had an interview in a SEN school, they asked what I knew about IEP's and how I would support a child with an IEP.

When I went into a classroom then to work quietly with some children, their targets for the IEP's were stuck on the wall with the child's photo. I had enough time to steal a glance at what was written about the child I had been partnered with and I was able to tailor some of what we were talking about to their IEP (and as they had just asked about it, I knew that it would be a bonus)

I also got asked a question about assisting in changing and toileting and how I would protect myself and the young person (I understand this would come under safeguarding but maybe be prepared to be asked about toileting)

I also learnt to say hello my name is ?????? (fingerspell name) in BSL and also thank you, which wasn't necessary but worked in my favour.

I found out I had the job a week later.

Hope some of this helps Pickles

pickles124 likes this.
  4. pickles124

May i ask how you answered the questions above? I was thinking of trying to Google some sign language or Makaton.

5. dreamcatcher842

I just explained what I knew about an IEP... for example what it stands for and how they are put in place to help children and young adults access learning and maybe the curriculum that they may not have been able to access before hand.
    Try and give an example of when you've tailored work to a learner based on their IEP too.

Toileting was pretty straight forward. Always having something in the room, not lifting unless trained, using hoists unless trained e.t.c.
    They mainly asked for clarification too that you'd be happy to help with toileting... i.e. would you be okay assisting someone who can't toilet themselves.

You could Google some basics but don't stress about it. I only knew those two from above and the reason I wanted to was in case no one else did and they'd remember me for attempting.

6. pickles124

Thankyou dreamcatcher! Are you enjoying your job role? x

7. dreamcatcher842

No problem at all Pickles.

I love it. Its reduced me to tears (in a good way) on times.
    It's a tough role but so rewarding

Good Luck with the interview

8. Freckles108

Freckles108 New commenter

For the interview it might be worth looking at the different communication systems that pupils use in school - using visuals, PECS, speech generating devices, sign language, Makaton. If a child is pre-verbal how could you support them? I wouldn't say it is necessary to know how to use them with the pupils, but that you would be keen to learn and work closely with the teachers/therapists involved. Their website or local offer may give you more information about what they use in school. Also have a think about different strategies you could use to support pupils who demonstrate challenging behaviour.

With areas like toilet training one of the most important things we look for when interviewing is that the candidate respects the dignity of the child/young person, and would use toileting/changing as a teaching opportunity to help the child develop as much independence as possible, at an appropriate level. You can use a back-chaining approach, or error-less learning (like you would in other lessons) so that the child is successful in what they do - developing their skills, confidence and self esteem.

Training needs - if you haven't worked in an SEN school you might want to ask about moving and handling training, positive behaviour management techniques that are used in school and any other relevant training, such as Makaton or PECS.

Good luck!

pickles124 likes this.
  9. pickles124

Thankyou. Yes i have looked comprehensively at the school website.

10. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

Good luck for tomorrow pickles, I hope you come back with good news.

pickles124 likes this.
  11. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Good luck pickles!

pickles124 likes this.
  12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Fingers crossed for you, pickles!

pickles124 likes this.
  13. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

How did it go Pickles??

14. pickles124

Im still waiting. I had a class observation where i just went in. The children were singing a song using majaton sign language and using toys- it was a phonucs activity. It was clear to see there were children who needed greater support than others.

I got involved and sang with the children. Interview seemed fairly relaxed but now sort of wracking my brains over ithed things i could have said. I was stressed the night before.

15. olunchick

Sounds good! Well done! Add the interview questions to that other thread please! Fingers crossed for you

16. pickles124

I dont want to get to hopeful. Its dark outside, my brain is going ten to the dozen and i keep thinking ahhhhh what are they doing? What are they doing?

17. olunchick

When will they be in touch with the outcome?

18. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

Did you hear back pickles?? Sounds as though you performed well today.

19. nikkitan1

nikkitan1 New commenter

Any news? sounds like you did really well.

20. pickles124

I had hoped it would have been this evening but nothing so far.