1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary/Secondary

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by enigma87, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I'm a Primary NQT in Scotland with an interest in residential schools for children with EBD/ASN. I'm aware that a lot of these establishments cater for older kids at secondary level (or who should be working at secondary level). Does this limit my opportunities since I'm trained at Primary level?
    I know of one case where a Primary NQT was accepted as a teacher in such a unit but I'm not sure if this was a one-off or can be deemed normal practice. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Thanks!

2. I'm a Primary NQT in Scotland with an interest in residential schools for children with EBD/ASN. I'm aware that a lot of these establishments cater for older kids at secondary level (or who should be working at secondary level). Does this limit my opportunities since I'm trained at Primary level?
    I know of one case where a Primary NQT was accepted as a teacher in such a unit but I'm not sure if this was a one-off or can be deemed normal practice. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Thanks!

3. I can't speak for every school but in my opinion, being primary trained makes it much easier to adapt to teaching in a special school. My special school has mainly secondary aged pupils. The teachers who have been most successful in making the transition from mainstream to special are the primary teachers, partly because the levels of the pupils are much lower and also because they are used to teaching a wide range of subjects. In schools where pupils stay with the class teacher for several lessons, it makes much more sense to choose a good primary practitioner than someone who is an expert in only one subject.

Of course, each school is different and it will depend very much on the pupil intake and curriculum organisation.

4. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a fair assessment. Will aim to build my experience up over the next few months and see where it takes me.

Good to know!

5. I hope you get on well!