1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary science workshops

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rmr09, May 19, 2017.

1. rmr09

rmr09 New commenter

Hello,
    I teach part-time (Secondary science) and work part-time for a University doing science outreach. From September I've been asked to deliver primary workshops to local schools. I've designed a workshop involving car ramps so pupils can learn about forces. I'd like to offer schools another choice of workshop so I'd like to know from a primary teacher's point of view which other topics would be the most helpful/popular to cover.

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciation.

Thanks

2. -DoingMyBest

-DoingMyBest New commenter

Perhaps look at the National Curriculum for Primary Science - there's a range of topics and it may also depend on which age group you intend to engage (KS1/LKS2/UKS2). Then pick an area that particularly interests you as you'll be more inspired with your workshop ideas.

3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

In my experience science investigations involving vehicles on ramps to learn about forces are quite common in primary schools. Staff are often less confident with investigations involving light, using data loggers, effects of levers/pulleys/gears and air resistance (except parachutes and spinners).