1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Science updates

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tick/star/smileyface, Jan 14, 2016.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Hi there, I just wondered if any primary Science coordinators are able to help me! I am new to coordinating and would love to know if there is anything new and exciting I should know about the science curriculum? Any useful websites or updates? Anything that would be useful to pass on to my colleagues?
    Many thanks

2. RuthHall

RuthHall New commenter

Hi, we use The Pod (some good survey ideas), Primary Upd8, Opal surveys are great for getting some outdoor learning. STEM website is great too. CLEAPPS website also has some useful ideas. Being a member of ASE is a really good way to access new initiatives and projects.As far as new to the science curriculum, famous scientists - using them to delve deeper into the five different kinds of enquiry is a really good "hook" for the children. Just remember that not all famous scientists are old, bearded men!
    Hope that helps, if I think of more will add on!

3. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

The National Curriculum is a good place to start. Let your teachers decide for themselves if and when they wish to do 'wacky' or 'exciting'.

I have no issue with 'mad science', 'mantle of the expert' or 'super duper science' initiatives, but the idea that they are imposed whole school I don't think is correct. The most valuable resource in teaching science is the teacher.

4. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

PS I realise that you are not looking to impose on the teachers, it's just my little soapbox thing!

5. dillydinsoaur

dillydinsoaur New commenter

Try the national STEM website - free to sign up and lots of great resources (including those for science week which is coming up next month!)