1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

primary science co-ordinator

Discussion in 'Science' started by saf_nqt, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    I'm taking over as the science co-ordinator. What would be the first thing to tackle?
    I'm going to start by looking at resources.
    Then we have science week coming up in summer term. I was wondering has anyone planned any science weeks? I am totally lost as to what to do. When i was at the school the first year the science co-ordinator gave different packs to year groups about science topics they could cover. The last year i was on maternity and she said that year she didn't bother and ppl just did their own thing.
    Also are their any books to get advice on this role???

2. erhgiez

erhgiez New commenter

I am a Junior Science coordinator and have just done a science week. Normally I would try and get a guest speaker (Lucy Hawking this year, we got Patrick Moore on skype last year, just send him a letter, I'm sure he will answer any questions in an assembly (he has a webcam too!)), have a school wide challenge (We built rafts out of lolly sticks, corks and elastic bands, with the challenge of balancing as many marbles as possible, I found 4 corks, 12 lolly sticks and unlimited elastic bands worked really well!). We also had a general science knowledge quiz, an invention competition, a science prize tombola and if possible I would do some whiz bang demonstrations. But its entirely up to you and depends what resources you have (we are attached to an upper school and have access to liquid nitrogen etc).

I took over the role just over a year ago and taught what was there for a year, assessed how it could be improved and then implemented changes. I wouldn't go changing too much stuff initially unless you are confident it will make a difference.

3. Have a look at the courses being run by your local Science Learning Centre - there are nine around the country. They run courses to support teachers of primary science and may have something helpful for you.
    https://www.sciencelearningcentres.org.uk/
    At the National Centre (disclaimer - I work there) we run a residential course for Science Subject Leaders and you can find details here. The next course starts in December - so you could make the case to your HT that this would be something useful for you to do.
    The AstraZeneca Teaching Trust provide free online CPD (and other) resources for primary science.
    There is one unit on 'Resourcing Primary Science' which may be particularly useful for you.
    Hope this is helpful.

4. Thanks for all the info, very helpful.
    I was wondering is there any science workshops/shows you have had come to the school? I thought it would be good to have someone come in on science day and do something the children could watch or take part in. Just looked on google and can't really find anything!