1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary schools open in June, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, May 10, 2020.

1. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Liar Johnson LOL, it's comments like this that make me agree with what the public say about teachers. Lazy, entitled and union sheep.

2. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Nice bit of psychological projection there.

Ivanhoe likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do you not listen to the news? Watch the briefings? Not even the bits that relate to schools?

All primary schools (state, independent, academy, free) and nurseries are able to open from 1st June to nursery, reception, year 1 and year 6 and children of key workers in any group. Most are doing so in some form or other. The way they are arranging it depends on staff availability, space in the school and parental uptake.

Your school is doing what the vast majority are doing.

4. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Your school is doing what the vast majority are doing.[/QUOTE]

I’d be interested to see the figures on this. Some councils have already said no, some schools won’t be ready for the 1st - what do we think will happen? My guess is that a majority probably will open but take-up will be low initially (which will help with management of new routines but probably mean the disadvantaged children will still miss out). If all goes well then a trickle effect could see pupil numbers, and numbers of schools open, increase - but really we’ll all be waiting to see what happens to the virus numbers a few weeks after schools open. Parents with no need to send their kids in/of a cautious disposition will probably watch and wait For at least a month. And parents who’ve never supported their kids attending school will take advantage of it not being compulsory.

bessiesmith2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Some LAs have moved the reopening to the 8th for the LA run schools. But the vast majority have not, the number who have is tiny.
    Totally agree with all this.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. 99sobi

99sobi New commenter

Hi, has the government provided any advice on years other than reception, 1 and 6? Asking because my academy has said that other years might return from 22nd June but I can't seem to find any advice from the government that refers to this.

7. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

You will be told on the 21st June for other classes to go back to school. No chance for your Academy to rewrite all their risk assessments again..