1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary schools open in June, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, May 10, 2020.

1. crumbleskates

crumbleskates New commenter

The Science that nobody has seen...

BetterNow likes this.
  2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

As they don't tend to identify where people get infected from that would be hard to find anyway. There have been primary school teachers who have caught it though.

Marisha and BetterNow like this.
  3. crumbleskates

crumbleskates New commenter

How does anyone know who caught it from whom?

if children are often asymptomatic, and some adults are getting it and don’t know who from, how can they know for sure?

4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

One of the reasons you need some form of track and trace in place before opening up properly.

Marisha and Catgirl1964 like this.
  5. Symingtons

Symingtons New commenter

6. Newidentity

Newidentity New commenter

When somebody is described as a "former chief" of an organisation of dubious merit, perhaps we don't need to listen to them too much.
    I can't see parents racing to take up the offer of schooling through the holidays, especially if it comes with a tag which implies that they are poor at parenting or inadequate in some other way.

7. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Wilshaw is a desperate narcissist trying to be noticed. His pronouncements are no more than bloggers producing clickbait. Actually, that is exactly what he is.

PGCE_tutor likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Two local primaries are starting to plan for reopening. Neither are planning to admit year 6 (not a long term priority and difficult to manage) nor reception (too difficult to social distance?).
    Is this happening in othe areas?

9. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 New commenter

That is really interesting. Are they accepting other year groups do you know?

10. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

Could I ask what steps schools in general or your school are going to take to safeguard all of the other adults who work in schools - cleaners, office staff, canteen workers, first aiders, lunchtime supervisors etc.
    Everyone seems to talk about children and teachers but there seems to be scant mention of those who , in many cases,will be in much closer contact with the students and placed in situations where they will be much more exposed to the virus

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I think they were going for years 1 and 5, but I may not be correct there.

12. dannyboy1984

dannyboy1984 New commenter

Just interested to know what the relationship is between academy trusts and school opening on 1st June. I don't have any real problem going back next week, but the school I work for ( part of a multi-academy trust ) in having N, R, 1 and 6 classes going back. Is this is any way influenced by money as I've read that academies are run as businesses, even though I don't really get this as the children and parents don't pay. What are the thoughts of others?

13. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Academies are centrally funded and so have much more control over their policies and spending than local authority funded state schools.

In my experience they tend to be unconcerned by the views of unions.

Does yours make money from any wraparounds?

14. dannyboy1984

I don't know anything about the financial side of things tbh. I'm just intrigued to see if LA schools are opening in the same way.

15. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I work in an academy. They are meeting with LA but making their own decision. Our LA schools have said they are opening 8th June but our Academy refuses to give a date yet. The LA schools are taking reception week one, adding year one week 2 then adding y6 week 3. It sound like ours will work in the same way when they decide to go back.

16. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

All our LA schools and Academies are likely to go back on the 8th June. Lots time spent on risk assessments to make sure everything works. I do not think the local schools will following Liar Johnson's advice to send in the rest of classes into school, so our parents can go shopping in the Trafford Centre.

17. dannyboy1984

So just how many of you work in a school where all the proposed year groups are going back on day 1? Feeling in the minority at the mo.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

My children's primary school is opening to YR, Y1 & Y6 from day 1. There are not a high number of cases in our particular area. From what I hear from other parents not many will be sending their children in.

19. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Mine is planning to open to R & Yr 1 on June 1 which with key workers/vulnerable children means there is not enough room for Yr 6.

20. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I work in such a school and it's LA controlled. Not all pupils in these year groups will be in but that's due to parents deciding to keep them at home.