1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary schools open in June, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, May 10, 2020.

1. crumbleskates

crumbleskates New commenter

So why are medical staff wearing PPE to see these under 10s?
    So why are shop staff behind screens When serving anyone including said under 10s?

agathamorse and Lalad like this.
  2. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Well, the OP asked what we thought, so I gave him my views. This virus isn't going to go away. We might as well just get on with it. We can not stay in lockdown forever. Our economy is going to pot as it is. It's one thing to be 'safe', but people have to eat too.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I would think it is more they are wearing it because they see a whole range of patients each day.

Same reason.

Choosing to wear PPE does not offer any real rebuttal of the findings above, that there appears to be little risk when working with or being around children.

I am not out to sell this message and I can appreciate all concerns and that yes, we must always be careful with a science that is at odds with itself.

But there really does not seem to me to be much to worry about for primary school teachers, especially as they will be getting smaller classes and (I hope) better hygiene measures.

You would have thought by now the media would have let us know if teachers were going down like flies in Denmark and the other countries?

(Again, not trying to stand fast by one view - just I have not read reports of this, maybe others have?)

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The chief Science officer at DfE who gave evidence today offered a different view on the research
    https://schoolsweek.co.uk/dfe-chief...-he-hasnt-assessed-school-reopening-guidance/
    "Asked about the transmission rate among children during the hearing, Rahman said the evidence is mixed, and there’s a “low degree of confidence in evidence they might transmit it less”."

It may be that the research that there is no instance has been taken out of context according to Full Fact
    https://fullfact.org/health/children-transmitting-coronavirus/

agathamorse and alexmurraybrown like this.
  5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think it’s perceptions of safe.

I’m secondary. Here’s what I think.

1) lessons progress in lecture form... no teachers wandering round classroom

2) for now, teaching has to be p/t. And use excess staff to ensure 1-15 ratio.

3) any kid who doesn’t cooperate is removed by SLT and there is one chance before removal from future lessons. Got to get tough right now, they are old enough to make a choice.

4) staggered dinner or none at all.

5) staggered breaks.

6) regular cleaning of work spaces... I know regulations etc... but teaching staff may have to play a role here...

7) collapse any requirement for assessment of kids work... staff focus on delivery of basic content only.

Pomza, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Use the Granny Cloud?
    https://www.ncl.ac.uk/research/impact/casestudies/futureoflearning/#discovermore

Pomza likes this.
  7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Indeed but the links I have given refer to studies in Iceland, South Korea and Italy among others.

The review mentioned by a panel of doctors in collaboration with the Royal College of Paediatricians and Child Health did not, I believe, include the work from Iceland, SK and Italy, it was more analysing data from WHO and China.

I do agree it is certainly tough to know one way or the other and I appreciate teacher concerns.

Personally I would have no fear about teaching primary school kids from June 1st but sure, I accept some think I am mad for having that view.

8. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice New commenter

Because the scientific evidence shows that children under 12 do not transmit the virus in any significant way.

Any tiny risk that does exist will be the same whether schools go back now, in September or in January. Stopping education indefinitely until we have a vaccine is not a feasible option, particularly for vulnerable children.

It therefore makes sense to have a gradual and phased return of the children at least risk.

The unions’ wailing about PPE and a safe environment are simply delaying tactics- they know fine well that reception teachers cannot teach in face masks and that the government cannot provide a zero-risk environment.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

It isn't about 'fear' - it's about teachers being able to follow the same advice as everyone else.

If the risk is so tiny, there is no need for a phased return at all.

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Edit - can you post a link to the evidence that says this please

jellycowfish and Patriciahh like this.
  11. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I am all for a return. But look at the practicalities. Class sizes of 15 means classes are halved. You now need two rooms and two teachers for each class. Or you mix face-to-face delivery with online delivery, some students in a different room from the teacher listening online. Lunch in an average high school will take 4 hours according to one HT I heard yesterday.
    In among all of this is the need for students to learn. What will happen to exams next year? It will be practically impossible to deliver the teaching hours. I cant see how exams go ahead in 2021.

I have taught in secondary schools with over 1500 students. Impossible to get all of those students back in school at the same time and accommodate social distancing.

The current government advice lays all of the responsibility on schools to get themselves organised. This is unfair.

12. crumbleskates

The differences between now and Sept are:
    We should know more about the CV
    Community numbers should have considerably fallen, if not the measures UK are using are wrong
    We may have better treatments when you are diagnosed
    We may have better treatments if taken seriously ill.

13. lsnewyorky

lsnewyorky New commenter

The unions’ wailing about PPE and a safe environment are simply delaying tactics- they know fine well that reception teachers cannot teach in face masks and that the government cannot provide a zero-risk environment.[/QUOTE]

What about reception teachers wearing face visors though if face masks are a problem at that age?

14. wallflowernot

wallflowernot New commenter

So will the Ta's be paid a teachers wsge
    Better hygiene??? With R and Y1 are you joking??

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There are plenty of FB posts from people working in nurseries that have stayed open throughout, including hospital on-site nurseries for children of hospital staff. None have used social distancing, none have used face masks. And none have seen terrible levels infections of nursery staff and children.
    There is lots we will need to do to keep the little ones as safe as we can, and to keep the staff teaching them safe, but it does seem perfectly possible to manage.

Lots of antibacterial sprays and wipes, gallons of sterilising fluid and masses of soap and water, but we will be fine.

16. Patriciahh

Patriciahh New commenter

17. Patriciahh

Patriciahh New commenter

I agree Signapore and China put in methods to make them safe - I have seen them. What safety measures have been put in place for us - none.
    How DARE YOU suggest that I don't want to lose my stay at home pay. I am working IN school 2 days a week and at home the other 5. I work daily on Home Learning, am constantly responding individually to children's work via email, calling and talking to anxious children and parents. I prepare home learning packs for children without the internet and walk to their houses to drop them off and am often met with smiling faces at the window waiting for their packs. I also lay awake in bed tonight worrying about the one child that O can not get hold of no matter how many different ways I try. I could go on but I won't I am hugely insulted that you infer that we do not want to work . I am working harder and longer hours than ever before and all I want is to go back to normal. But I do not trust this government to keep the children and us safe. I am SCARED and I am worried so please do NOT judge me and other teachers and suggest that we are lazy.

18. crumbleskates

I agree Patriciahh, a1976 is trying to be provoking possibly. I am working just as long if not more intensively than before, and with such heightened stress for school, children, colleagues, family, and finally, self.
    Get children back but protect us at the same time. This is a principle enshrined in H&S. ie there may be a risk, but mitigate as much as possible. The ‘as much as possible’ bit has not been met. Risk assessments are also based on worst case then work back: canoeing could result in death, you then look at likelihood and mitigation to prevent the incident happening, and if it does, minimise the severity. Is hard to do a risk assessment when you don’t know the level of risk. Like canoeing, the CV could result in death, so you have to plan accordingly: reduce likelihood eg low numbers, ability to SD, testing, isolating etc. Then reduce severity: reduce hours contact to lower viral load, keep vulnerables away.

Patriciahh and agathamorse like this.
  19. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

Oh, really? In what way are you qualified to say anything? What, specifically, is your experience of what teachers are doing, how much work they are setting and marking from home, how many phone calls to students they are making?

As a teacher myself I am setting work to classes daily, I have been asked to phone students, have received and replied to between 15 and 50 emails a day from students about the work set and can tell you I am working typically 6 hours a day. Not constantly from 9:00 - 3:00 but throughout the day, including emails in the evening. My students have emailed round the clock but I answer when I can.

This is my experience of lockdown.

What, exactly, is yours that makes you qualified to say anything?

20. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter